Could age hold me back?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Nathan Simon, 2nd Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Nathan Simon

Nathan Simon Well-Known Member

I am after personal opinion here.

I am a Real Estate Agent working currently under another agent and wanting to fan out on my own.
    I am currently only 18 years of age and many people have tried shooting me down saying I'm too young.
    I of course don't agree, I believe I have knowledge and the confidence to go solo within the agency and still be a successful agent.

Being property owners yourselves, would you looks adversely on an agent simply due to age? Or would you look more at knowledge, passion, enthusiasm and ability?

Last edited: 3rd Nov, 2015
    WattleIdo likes this.
  2. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Question for you young fella.

Would you disregard a client because (s)he is "old"

KayTea likes this.
  3. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Yes, I would. But don't let it get you down, keep the big picture.

Don't be in a hurry - in anything.

At 18, there is still loads to learn, and being under another agent gives you some protection. Being burnt at your age might be the hardest thing to recover from. Watch and learn grasshopper.

Observer, JDP1, albanga and 5 others like this.
  4. Special order

Special order Well-Known Member

There will always be people telling you, you can't do things no matter what age you are

wylie, WattleIdo and Nathan Simon like this.
  5. Nathan Simon

I don't think I would. If they can prove themselves and believe in their work, then why not

Last edited: 3rd Nov, 2015
  6. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Depends how professionaly you present yourself...and if you can offer me a good deal. ;)

Taku Ekanayake and Nathan Simon like this.
  7. Nathan Simon

Well... Everything is negotiable

8. MattA

MattA Well-Known Member

Personally, you're age wouldn't assist with initial impressions... but how you handle yourself after the initial handshake is where you could still win my business.

9. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

If someone said to me .'I've just used this great agent.. He did xyz well' I would definitely consider you.

I'm currently looking at selling a property, and I've been to some open homes and auctions to check out the agents and how thy operate. If I thought you were a good operator I would consider you.

But chances are I'm going to go with someone who I know has a long track record of selling houses in my area. I may also be turned off by your age and rightly or wrongly a perception that you are inexperienced.

Observer, hobo and Nathan Simon like this.
  10. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Are they making a living? Then I think you need to work harder to see what they do.

Your number one priority is being professional. You have already used 'hey' in a written sentence, given your name, location, the name of the office - now, that's all fine - but on top of that, you have at least as a teacher criticised your boss.

So, for those reasons, I'm out.

But, good luck. I like your enthusiasm.

11. Nathan Simon

Of course, age can scare people. But I believe I can prove myself.
    i completely respect that.

Let me ask you a question though.
    How do you think the experienced ones became experienced?
    Someone initially had to give them a go. And I can assure you, if they could have started at 18 instead of the age they did, every agent 100% would have.

But of course experience makes everyone seem more favourable and that's understandable

12. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Initially, yes. If I was looking for a RE Agent without any personal recommendations and took things on face value then I would go with an older agent as there would be assumed experience there (whether that is true or not...). HOWEVER, if I was given a recommendation from someone with direct experience and it was a good experience then I would have no qualms about your age.

In saying that though, don't let other people dictate what you can and can't do. Do what you believe you can do.

Nathan Simon likes this.
  13. Nathan Simon

Completely eespe
    Completely respect this response.
    I'm not on this blog to receive business therefore I am completely informal.
    Just after a conversation and get the view of other people.
    Thank you

Bran likes this.
  14. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

I think you answered your own question

Nathan Simon likes this.
  15. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

Hi Nathan,

Good on you for starting young! There's plenty to learn here on this forum. My unsolicited advise is, if you think you are not learning from your current agency, move out and go to another one. Pick up various experiences and learn from each of them. I think there is always something to learn, whether it is to do something the right way, or, the other way around.

Good luck and stay on course.

bob shovel, KayTea and Nathan Simon like this.
  16. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Dear Nathan,
    I think being a Real Estate agent takes time, takes making connections with others, perhaps it may be about making connections with your class mates? Takes being consistent, in a few years time, some mates will be marrying , starting families and they will want a house.. guess who they will turn to? YOU! I suggest you do what your boss says, 'follow them around like puppy ' by the time it comes to friends wanting to buy houses you will have experience! Keep at it! Do the right thing, and you will be fine! All the best

Nathan Simon likes this.
  17. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

I think they watched, listened and learnt from more experienced agents. Sometimes you don't know what you don't know.

If it was me, rather than go out in your own right now, I would perhaps look at moving to another agency where you can learn and then consider going out on your own in a year or two.

18. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

You are in a prime position to ride the wave of any industry disruption. Think the uber for taxi thing.

You are at the least vulnerable position of your working life. Use this flexibility to go where you need to go, work under the best, see what they do.

I'm a surgeon. I could do the job at a good standard years before I finished training. When I finished training, I could have fanned out and taken a pretty good salary right off the bat. Instead, I considered the big picture. I took a 75% pay cut, and moved my family interstate 5 days after the birth of our second born to work in a particular unit.

THEN, I spent $100,000 of borrowed money to go overseas and do it again, in another world-renowned unit.

So, you've asked our opinions - I'd do what I did.

1. Set your goals - big. You have all the time in the world. Is Coomera where you want to be in 30 years?
    2. Identify your role models - think big.
    3. Identify your local mentors. Talk to them about their mentors and their role models.
    4. Talk to those mentors.
    5. Find a way to work for the biggest achievers you can find. This is a stepwise progression.
    6. Keep in touch and good stead with EVERYONE along the way. Don't **** anyone off professionally. Have EVERYONE offer you a job when your time is done. (**This would be the biggest piece of advice that no-one ever gave me, but I wish they had).
    6. Work your ass off for the biggest achievers. Above, and beyond.
    7. Do it with your eyes wide open. See what they do well and aim to copy it. Identify their flaws. Work out how you would do it better.
    8. Then go where you want to be, and do it better.

Last edited: 2nd Nov, 2015
    eskander, Observer, Tekoz and 11 others like this.
  19. Daniel007

Daniel007 Well-Known Member

I hope you're watching these videos http://www.tompanos.com.au/

Gavin Rubinstein, one of the agents interviewed used his youth to his advantage. He would sell the fact he had no commitments and was 100% focused on the task at hand. I'd recommend you watch it if you haven't already.

Bran and Nathan Simon like this.
  20. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

^ what Bran said