Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Costs...Buying Land in SA

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Gurtofen, 14th Mar, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Gurtofen

Gurtofen Well-Known Member

Anyone know how to accurately calculate the costs of purchasing a block of land in SA?

Obviously conveyancing costs and rates etc. would be different for every purchase but I would like to calculate as accurately as possible any other costs involved to assist with putting in an offer.

I have looked at the REISA, SA Revenue and Land Services websites but any first hand knowledge would be much appreciated.

2. D.T.

D.T. Adelaide Property Manager Business Member

Exactly the same as buying a house:

Stamp duty
    Transfer fee
    Rates and water through to end of fin year
    Conveyancing organises all of the above to go thru settlement including their own fee

Ask your broker what mortgage related fees will be payable

3. Gurtofen

Ok no worries.

Won't be a mortgage in place so there won't be any fees there...which is nice!

Are any of the calculators on the above mentioned websites pretty accurate that you are aware of?

4. D.T.

D.T. Adelaide Property Manager Business Member

5. Gurtofen

Thanks. Yeah I had been using that as my 'guide' so to speak.

6. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Finance Strategist Business Plus Member

Just be mindful that the RevenueSA calculator only gives you the stamp duty calc - you also need the Land Transfer registration fee factored in, otherwise your government charges estimate will be significantly off.

The actual LTO website is a joke to navigate, so this amalgamated calculator is reasonable to use: sa.gov.au - Calculate property transfer fees

7. Gurtofen

Thanks Corey. Yeah I found that one as well and it looks to be more comprehensive so the figures look pretty accurate which is what I was after. I completely agree, the LTO website is hopeless and to be honest I think all the SA websites aren't overly clear.

8. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

The calculators work better for locals so just send me the details of the property and I'll run the numbers for you.

You can trust me, my uncle is a high ranking member of the government.

Xenia and Corey Batt like this.
  9. Gurtofen

Lol....does that even exist in SA?

10. DaveM

DaveM Adelaide Buyers Agent & KFC Strategist Business Member

Does he have the sum of four million USD that is stuck in the proceeds from the shutdown of the desal plant that he needs assistance with transferring?

Baker likes this.
  11. Xenia

Xenia Adelaide Property Manager Business Member

4/136 The Parade Norwood, South Australia
    Hi Gurtofen, are you purchasing land or a house that you will be knocking down and rebuilding on? What suburbs?

12. Gurtofen

Hi Xenia,
    We are looking at all options....my preferred option is to find a decent block and build but my wife's preferred option is to buy established. Was looking at a block but it has recently sold anyway.

Other 2 options are to find a suitable house but spend a decent amount to get it up the standard we want or to find a knockdown and build. So pretty much open to nearly every option available!

Preference is in the North East.....Golden Grove, Wynn Vale, Greenwith, Gulfview Heights etc.

Xenia likes this.
  13. Xenia

Xenia Adelaide Property Manager Business Member

4/136 The Parade Norwood, South Australia
    Houses are not permanent, you can always knock it down and build exactly what you want. Finding the right block size in the right location is more important.

Although if it's a nice House in good condition then you will be paying more for the block.