Costing up a whole house paint job?

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by SaberX, 6th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I prefer a sprayed finish for the initial paint job. 15 yrs on ppor isn't extraordinary.

2. devank

devank Well-Known Member

Bunnings dude told me to get the roller. He said that I would spray everywhere. I wonder what have him that impression :)

4point5million likes this.
  3. Aaronjod

Aaronjod Well-Known Member

Anybody ever painted the exterior, gutters, window frames & some colorbond? Considering doing it to an IP.. but not up to doing so myself.

4. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I've had a painter do this in Frankston. Was well worth it.
    Will see if I have the energy and time to do the exterior myself in coming weeks. Are you going to give it a go?

5. Aaronjod

Aaronjod Well-Known Member

@WattleIdo Nah, I don't have the time. What'd it cost? I reckon it'd have a massive impact on the house.. got any pics before / after ? Did the colorbond turn out OK?

6. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I think it was just over 2K. Yes, he used a different undercoat for the colorbond. It worked out great. Don't have access to before and after atm but I was very impressed.

7. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

My house cost $700.00 plus paint. I refused to pay the exhorbitant rates Australian painters wanted, so I got one from overseas who only wanted his airfare and 3 months accommodation.

8. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

$35-40 an hour is exhorbitant? If a painter can bill 66% of the time with the remaining time on admin/quoting, do you begrudge someone earning $55k pa less insurance, brushes, rollers and equipment which they pay for?

9. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

Oh wow. Where did you find the painter and how did you organise it all? Much saving?

10. SaberX

SaberX Well-Known Member

All, sorry I totally forgot this thread until recently! I'm actually costing up my sqm area of my house plan as I type and plan to calculate total paint costs! To catch up with the topic I'll reply in dribs and drabs per user addressed below.

Firstly for the opening response of assuming 12 sqm per litre of paint, I was told 13 sqm per litre of paint at bunnings, as usually they quote between /up to 15 per litre.. so to be conservative go half way inbetween.

Regardless of what it is, is the recommendation the total paint for one coat?? Or is 13 sqm/litre of paint for the two coats of paint + primer/sealer equivalent usually? or will you have to triple whatever calculation you get when you divide total sqm by 13 to get litres of paint (to take into account 2 paint coats plus 1 x coat of sealer initially).

I also got a tip from bunning to paint the sealer first, and a first coat of paint before filling in the cracks with putty/plaster repair. Supposedly by sandpapering the first coat of paint you get a much better smoother finish as the repair plaster is harder than the normal sealer coat or pre-sealer so if you went to sandpaper the wall smooth you would end up more often with a bowl shape if you aren't careful? Whereas once painted supposedly the whole surface of wall is more similar hardness to the filler once hardened so therefore you can get a more even sandpapering job done?

Sounds abit back to front as I was always taught to putty/filler the cracks, let it dry, sandpaper it all smooth/flat and even, before starting your sealer coat, followed by 2 x coats of paint?

The tip i also got was to lightly sandpaper your first coat of paint prior to 2nd coat's application as supposedly it helps the second coat latch on a lot better? Fact or myth? Does anyone else do it?

11. SaberX

SaberX Well-Known Member

@Stu - good point I'll try to catch the painter doing the ceilings/doors, although again I don't think they'll be as cheap as doing it yourself? So far the quoted price i've got for the house is 3,190 including GST. Not sure their quality but associated with the soakwells guys so just took it as an indication. Brother also got a cash job done for around that price for an even larger 4 x 2 so assuming the quotes accurate.

Not the most but from what i heard most equivalent jobs of DIY would probably be 1-1.5k of your own money for paint and rollers and the like? THe most part is your time... but i'm kind of wondering how the 'educational'/life skill side comes into play, and whether is houdl at least do it once (best time?) as practice.

@devank - that sounds terrible, but then again a pergoda roof i assume is riveted/not flat? Or was it? And i wouldn't be stripping any paint as a plus... although filling cracks and sandpaper will be on the agenda... so some preparation pain to begin with too!

@Nimble - fair enough, keep us up to date one day in the future if you ever remember me as to how splashing out more on the 'wash and wear' , more upmarket paint does for you for your first home/IP. I too am tossing up whether to go 'doable' i.e. taubmans, or abit more upmarket like DUlux wash and wear style paint. I'm of two minds - protection/preventation, or cheap and gets the job done as a tenant will ruin whatever you throw at them eventually?

@4point5million - From my recent convo with the bunnings guy I think the spray gun may get a better finish, but in good hands, hence why a roller/old fashioned way was recommendd to me as a first time. THe internal ventilation and the spray going everywhere was one point made, and I guess it may give a nicer finish if you know how to use it... so maybe best left for the professionals? Seems like @devank got the same advice from bunnings (about it spraying everywhere)

@Fargo - jeezus, $700? I wouldn't mind it too but even I think that's super cheap. I'm assuming that surely didn't include paint? If so I don't know how you'd pull it off for paint and materials, or were they using the real cheap stuff?

I wouldn't mind 1-1.5k for a painter, even 2k, but i acknowledge that over 2k is the norm it seems for their markup and labour costs... alas one can't hope to have DIY cost price offered to them by a professional, and I do also demand a reasonably good wage for my services too so putting myself in the other shoes....

Anyhow I am aware that you may get away with some cheaper quotes if you do the sandpapering/sealing coat yourself right? So if you find you're fed up and tired by just sealing the walls then one should be able to command a cheaper price for the remaining 2 coats of paint only right? Has anyone ever tried?

Woudl be great if anyone can confirm the guide of 13 sqm/litre of paint - being for one coat of paint please? In other words triple the measurement/calculated litres of paint to arrive at the 1 x sealer coat, and 2 x paint coats true cost?

Anyone have a fair idea how much those DIY canvas sheets etc. are (enough for one paint job throughout the house), heard one should use them over plastic? If i have carpet down is plastic a requirement as do the canvas drop sheets soak paint through eventually once wet? Other than that the only other costs would be one or two brushes, a cut in brush for edges/corners, and painting tape and some turpentine to wash the brushes/rollers after the end of day use so they don't dry out,correct? HOw much should one budget for these 'non paint' tools for a decent 4 x 2 ?

12. Chris Tuffs

Chris Tuffs New Member

I agree with Scott No Mates, $6K does sound cheap. I hope it all went well.

- Chris

Last edited by a moderator: 7th Mar, 2019