Costing of new sewer connection for my neighbours house

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Sonika Sayal, 31st Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Sonika Sayal

Sonika Sayal New Member

Hello everyone,
    Can someone suggests me do I need to give new connection to my neighbours house (as their sewer pipe is connected to my property sewer) if I am building two units on my house. I live in the zone of South East Water and they are telling me that I need to give new connection to my neighbour which will cost me around $15000 - $20000 total. South East Water is charging me $5250 for giving out new branch that will be given to neighbour. In addition to this, I will have to pay additional $9000 for plumbing (30 m long pipe from front main sewer to the neighbours existing sewer and concrete removal) plus more for concrete laying back to the place and garden layout where small trees will be removed from fence side. This is a suggestive cost as per the quote as if they can't take machine to that area for digging then it can add up more cost.
    Stressful situation is of course managing finances and then managing relationship with the neighbour.
    I am sure this sewer plan was planned by either any Govt. institute/SE water in the beginning when these houses were built in 1940's. Then why we have to give new connection to my neighbour at my cost. This was old planning then for creating new planning why I have to suffer because I am building. What does SEW does? Don't they rectify these old issues? Why a normal layman has to suffer for old issues? I don't want to spoil relationship with my neighbours and of course this price is pinching.
    SEW is saying properties being redeveloped with more than a single house, are required to relieve the combined drain.
    Now I don't know whether
    1. Its the law that need to give new connection to my neighbour if I am building two townhouses.
    If, my neighbour and we both are agreeing that we keep the things as they are exactly now then why SE water is asking us to give new connection to them.
    2. Can I connect his sewer connection at the branch where I am getting my house sewer connection (near the nature strip which is between my house and my neighbour's house) to save $5250 if I gave him separate 30m pipe for connection for his house.
    My neighbour is elderly and I don't want to bother him for the cost but I will certainly like to know the ways to minimize the cost.
    Is there anybody who can help please in guiding me how to deal with this kind of situation?
    Thank you
    Sonika

Sonika Sayal, 35 minutes ago Report

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The sewer works at present, you want to undertake development works which will affect the sewer. You are responsible to pay for the modifications.

If you don't develop, you will not be put to any expense.

You might consult with a hydraulic engineer to review the proposal or to design an alternative solution which will be acceptable to SE Water.

lixas4 and wylie like this.
  3. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

SEW are a referral authority for your subdivision so they will need to consent to your plan and have the right to request changes and requirements. If you dont like those requirements, you have review rights at VCAT.

This setup where non related title owners share sewer connections used to be done quite a bit. The issue is the rights that owners have over the shared services for access and maintenance. While these rights may exist under common law they may not be expressed on the title (there will probably not be an easement or owners corporation to expressly protect the owners rights).

What if there was a sewer issue in your neighbours land that affected you, but not your neighbour? And you both didnt get along and he wouldn't let you in his property to fix? Without expressed rights on the title, access becomes a lot more difficult. These are the situations SEW have to consider.

If you want to exhaust all possibilities, get your land surveyor/engineer to call the subdivision section of SEW to talk it through, and see if there is another option. But based on the info provided, it seems SEW's request is in line with their policy.

bmc and Scott No Mates like this.