Cost to slide and raise a house in Brisbane

Discussion in 'Development' started by eggnog, 28th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. eggnog

eggnog Well-Known Member

Has anybody slid a house across in brisbane, raised it to legal height and build underneath and extended out back? Would like to hear your stories, recommendations and numbers. I am deciding whether to:

1) Knock down and sell 2 empty lots; or
    2) Sell 1 lot and build on other lot by demoing half the side of the house, slide undemolished side across, raise to legal height, build underneath and extend out back.

Need to get numbers and tips to save on costs to make an informed decision on which track to go down.

2. Agent30yrs.

Agent30yrs. Well-Known Member

Depending on contingencies, up to about 30k.

Terry_w likes this.
  3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

2. Depends on what you want to build underneath.
    Add on repair work if you demolish part of the house.
    Could run into six figures easily.
    Marg

4. Agent30yrs.

Agent30yrs. Well-Known Member

Of course, that's only to raise and slide....

5. Marg4000

Not a straight raise and slide.
    Post says part demolishing involved.....
    Sounds expensive.
    Marg

Agent30yrs. likes this.
  6. eggnog

eggnog Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies.

House is a very typical workers cottage with the side verandah converted into 2 bedrooms and the toilet. As it stands now it is too fat for a 10m wide lot so the side verandah would have to be spliced off. House currently sits smack bang in the middle so it would also need to be slid across about 4-5 meters. And of course the bedrooms and toilet would have to be replaced by either raising up high and building underneath or extending out back.

Would be hard to recover costs if it runs north of 6 figures considering my purchase price and the fact that the suburb's median for a 3 bedder is in the 500's.

7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We've been told ballpark (from a house raiser who looked on google earth as they spoke with me on the phone) that our house raise and move over would be about $90k.

That was for everything, new stairs back and front, new posts, hook up of services. The actual slide is probably about $20k to $30k I gather. I know we could save money to getting them to just do the lift and shift. We could hire a builder to quote on the stairs and hire a plumber and electrician to disconnect and hook back up. That is more likely what we will do, depending on quotes.

We could just get a "one company does it all" depending on actual firm quotes but we aren't ready to go ahead yet, so have done nothing more than get ballpark quotes on the phone.

This is off the top of my head, from memory. I have details in another thread, which I could try to find so I can give more accurate figures.

The draftsman who drew up the houses in their new positions, raised up to legal height, drew two sets of plans. One just "as is" but higher and on the new small lot, and the other plan showing new kitchen downstairs, new bathrooms, living rooms downstairs. He said to build under we would be looking around $300k for the whole lift/shift/raise/slab/services/build under.

One option I want to explore is to lift and slide, possibly add internal stairs that are closed off downstairs and either batten in, or weatherboard in the rest of the downstairs footprint, have plumbing set into the new slab but do nothing more. That gives us an option to not overspend when we do it or leave the actual closing in and building internal downstairs walls, bathrooms etc to the next owner.

The problem for us is that spending $300k on the whole thing would give us a house worth considerably more but the extra rent for the extra amenities would not support the cost of providing those amenities.

We have no option but to lift and shift the house, so that is a "must spend". We will get no extra rent for lifting and sliding the house. Everything beyond that must pay for itself.

In your situation, I would suggest clearing the block and starting fresh (building two new houses) would likely cost less than altering the current house and building one new house.

Last edited: 28th Mar, 2017
    Marg4000 likes this.
  8. Marg4000

Does the zoning permit you to demolish the house?
    Marg

9. eggnog

eggnog Well-Known Member

No issues with zoning.

Might have to scratch this idea. Can build brand new 2 story quality homes for less than $300,000. It looks like the partial demo and rebuild makes this avenue unfeasible.

10. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Does the council need to be involved at all? Like regular inspections, or at least some sort of certification like when you build or extend a house? I have a friend that did this himself, bit of a hack job, no certs or anything, said he didn't want to involve the council as it was too much red tape. I can't but help this is going to cause him problems down the line.

11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Just want to add... please don't make any decisions due to my comments. The particular house I'm dealing with might have its own issues, certainly is not able to be demolished, has its own quirks and the draftsman could have been talking "high spec" at those costs, whilst I know we can do the job for much less if we go "low spec" and/or do the absolute minimum.

We also had a builder quote $300k from memory for a reasonably high spec new build behind this house. It was either $200k for lowest house, and $300k for highest, or something like that. So if you can build two houses for $300k I think you should ignore my comments, as we are likely talking chalk and cheese, either in spec or position, or house quality required for this particular street to fit in with other houses, or degree of difficulty.

12. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Yeah, your not going to do much for 30k :)

The way you do this, is buy and hold till the costs involved to do this are so small compared to the gain, that you go ahead, down the track some years or decades.