Cost to remove gardens, soil and drain away from the house?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Angel, 12th Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

The B&P report found moisture in the downstairs walls and the inspector recommends they dig out all the gardens up against the side of the house (both sides) and ensure a drainage path to keep any dirt and rainwater away from the edge of the house.

Do you have any idea of potential cost but more importantly, how urgent would this work be. We know the cost to dry out and membrane the walls is not possible to guess atm. Inspector suggested a figure and I said to "double it" due to covid shortages.

My friend is asking how urgent is this work and I suggested I would not like to be digging around during La Nina, do you experts have any ideas?

2. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Cost is dependant on whether you can get machinery access in all around.. and how deep you need to go. There are some handy machines that can be as skinny as 1m for access.. it could be $200/hour plus, and should be less than a days work.

urgency depends on risk of damage to lower level footings, floor/wall linings?

As you mentioned you’ll also need a waterproofing membrane.. and also to the slab if a vapour barrier is present under?

3. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Thanks VB. Should they get an engineer, and if so, what kind of engineer.

4. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

An engineer (structural) is probably not a bad idea as they can give you a holistic approach to all the issues identified above.. just verbal advice on site should do (approx $200/hour).

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.