Cost to relocate outdoor unit of Air Con

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by USC, 19th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. USC

USC Active Member

We need to relocate the outdoor unit of an Air Con we've just installed from it's current location to the front garden (see photo attached).

Email from the electrical contractors:
    The outdoor unit that is currently located on brackets can be relocated as per the direction from the body corporate to the garden at the front of the building.
    These works can be completed at a cost of between $700 & $900. This pricing includes the pumping down of the gas in the air conditioner so that the pipework can be disconnected and additional pipework, electrical cabling and drainage pipes can be run in additional ducting to the location.

Argh it is an extra cost as we forgot about the body corp when installing this unit!

Is the quote reasonable - if so, I won't bother getting another quote. Otherwise any recommendations? Located North side Brisbane.
    And - do we need to use the same electrical guys who did the installation or if we don't, will it void the warranty?

TIA Air Con photo.png

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Replace mains cabling, degas/regas, move unit, extend pipework etc. Reasonable in my book.

USC likes this.
  3. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

I would be comfortable with that quote - though I would check exactly where / how they route the pipework internally. The outside job looks pretty good - better than some installs I've seen where they run the conduit down on the internal wall and then outside. :mad:

USC likes this.
  4. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I think the price is ok.

I think they are stupid to get you putting it at the front of the building, especially seeing there is already a visible window mount there

USC likes this.
  5. USC

USC Active Member

The BC argued it was about the structural integrity of the wall to withstand the weight and vibration, rather than aesthetics. We ended up going with the original quote to move the unit. Thx!

6. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Was to late once there and operational (wall did not collapse)

The normal thing is to have things away from the front, not visible from street, also, it means other units will need to follow....lot of ugly piping etc etc, at least the walls won't fall down :)

7. Coconutwheels

Coconutwheels Well-Known Member

That's halarious......not for you though......Seriously what would a BC know about the structural integrity of the wall?