Cost to provide works as executed detail for OSD?

Discussion in 'Development' started by Butterfly88, 5th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Butterfly88

Butterfly88 Well-Known Member

Hi all

My certifier is requesting the above in order for me to obtain my occupation certificate. I have had one quote from the engineer who drew up the OSD plans for $495. Does this sound reasonable?

TIA

380 likes this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

What's wrong with putting it back on the plumber who installed the system?

3. Butterfly88

Hi Scott. We built through a project home company, and had the OSD designed by an engineer separately to avoid a detention pit and extra cost from the builder. I guess it's our responsibility to see this part of the project through to the end. I would just like to know if this is a reasonable charge for a 'works as executed' certificate. It seems a lot!

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

As above, get the certification from whoever installed it - they can mark up the plans. Cost - $0 (if it was in their scope).

Did the engineer only design the system or perform inspections? Was it in his scope to certify?

5. Rockstar

Rockstar Well-Known Member

I think that's a reasonable amount if they have to come out and inspect. I have paid more in the past. Fortunately my engineer now trusts me and is happy with photos. I think he still charges a bit for the certification. They run a business and have to pay for rent + staff so I am happy to pay for the professional services.
    You could always ask exactly what you are getting for your money but if I was an engineer putting my signature (licence) on it I would be checking it out thoroughly.

6. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

@Butterfly88
    yes, if it wasn't included in his scope, it sounds reasonable.

It must be a very simple or small OSD. they can cost a lot more. I do a lot of these and a complicated system can, take a few hours to measure up, calculate volumes, flow rates, and mark up plans.

7. Butterfly88

Hi there @bmc and @Rockstar @Scott No Mates No, it wasn't in his original scope - never knew more had to be done until now - you live and learn. Sounds like it's a reasonable figure; I'll go ahead and book him. Cheers all.

8. 380

380 Well-Known Member

@Butterfly88

Yes, $ amount sounds just about right.

It's a quite a lot of work and you will get a copy of plans (hopefully with lot less red markings on it) that you need to submit authority to get your bond back + OC + registration at land title office.