Cost of Survey of block ? Queensland - Coastal

Discussion in 'Development' started by See Change, 19th May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

We might need to get a survey on a block of land we're about to finalise a purchase on .

How much should this set us back ?

Cliff

2. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Might depend on the size. I was just quoted $1760 for an 800 sqm block.

3. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

coupla grand. You could always take a GPS and do it yourself. Is it required for legal purposes or do you just need to know where it is?

4. See Change

Assuming it's a "standard ' block , does the size alter the cost much ?
    600 - Battle axe - Handle not included in the 600 - comes out of the front block .

It's for purposes of working out levels / features for new build , so think I need a pro to do it .

Cliff

5. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

well, its all time based
    as well as other things like vegetation, steepness ,adjoining information. specific detail
    a 600sq block in the simpson desert will take less time than a block in paddington.

or
    GS18-rev.jpg
    FLT P/N #:LCA855304 [​IMG] In Stock
    Your Price: $25500.00

how hard could it be

lixas4 likes this.
  6. boganfromlogan

If it is levels, either a building surveyor or engineer/engineering surveyor will give a better result than a land surveyor. BTW.

Land surveyors are not great with levels in my opinion.

Of course getting a DEM would be perfect (digital elevation model) they are cool and are becoming cost effective. They show ground levels and features :) .. ALS, other laser instruments are good.

It is sooo interesting seeing machines programmed to dig to levels from a DEM or a digital file that is full of ground and feature info.

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Probably cost a little more than just a boundary ID survey - still has to get the AHD info then wander over the lot with the magic wand and document their findings into a contour map.

8. boganfromlogan

I guess that is the average result i was talking about. We have precision technology, but a boundary surveyor will trudge over the block and send you a string of contours. In addition he will claim he 'owns' the information that led to the 'creation' of the useless contours so u won't be able to give it to a machine operator to program his machine to create the levels you want.

Sorry about the rant

9. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

or spend a day in the field then hours calculating all the information and preparing a plan to scale.
    order all the relevant DP's and title deeds, check restrictions, check easements.
    check sewer, calculate boundaries and sign the plan and hope some numpty pays you.

sorry about the rant

lixas4, See Change and Scott No Mates like this.
  10. Scott No Mates

Geez, I must be getting old - a stringline and a couple of profiles was all we needed. :p

Sorry about the reminiscences.

lixas4, See Change and bmc like this.
  11. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

yeah that's how we did this one

it looks straight - doesn't it
    how's it look from your side

IMG_2314.jpg

12. See Change

. Getting people coming having consulte

Block is pretty flat , maybe sl drop at the back , but flood touches back corner .

Curious about the computer generated info . Is there a industry standard file they can generate which the designers can plug into their software ?

I'd assumed there was one way they can do it .

What are the alternatives ?

cliff

13. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

the most common is AutoCAD (*.dwg).
    however most software programs can export an exchange file that all programs can import anyway.(*.dxf)
    fairly standard practise.

Attached Files:

14. boganfromlogan

I am old too. So is gps. So is laser.

We can’t have our professional measurers continuing to use pieces of string can we?

I too remember without fondness string, mud and miscloses calculated manually...... and repeating work that was outside expected tolerances. Maybe I like the technology cos I was no good at the first principles?

Funnily I love dynamics and statics and engineering first principles. I could wax lyrical about that! And computational structures!!

15. Scott No Mates

There's a jib hanging out the front of that theodolite. :eek:

16. boganfromlogan

The technology is actually old, and it is a shame that the people continue to think and behave like the earth is flat unless someone draws contours on it

17. boganfromlogan

love the focus on the customer

18. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

@See Change If your design needs to go through the permit process at council, and/or you are building on the boundary, then you will likely need a title re-establishment which can only be signed off by a licensed/registered surveyor.

In vic (and i assume in other states), if there are flooding issues on a property and the floor level needs to be constructed at a minimum AHD height, then this survey will also need to be signed off by a registered/licensed surveyor.

There are other ways to do surveys then the tradtional methods, but for your survey it is unlikely to be beneficial. A two man survey party can knock out the re-establishment, and the feature and level components within a day in the field, and there is about a day and a half of drafting and checking. If you choose an alternative method, multiple parties will likely be required as your title survey party will likely be different to your feature and level, and there will be a lot of double handling of the fieldwork, and drafting.

The benefits of using the more modern methods are in surveys of feature and level only, and on larger feature and level jobs, where the modern equipment can reduce the fieldwork time from multiple days to less days.

On an accuracy perspective, a ground based laser scan or aerial lidar/photogrammetry, of a large area to produce the levels and a digital terrian model will be more accurate then a guy out there holding a stick. Each job needs to be assessed as to what the accuracy requirements are and the most cost effective techniques should be employed to get the desired result.

19. See Change

@lixas4

it’s a new subdivision

the build doesn’t need to go through council , but the designer needs to know levels / contours and accurate location of any features . It is a relatively flat block .

we’ve been told there should be a survey registered which should have contours but it hasn’t turned up yet .

cliff