Cost of stormwater pump?

Discussion in 'Development' started by albanga, 21st Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Hey All,
    I'm building in a couple of months and require a storm water pit and pump to push uphill to the councils legal point of discharge. My builder has put in a provisional for 15k but obviously that includes all aspects of the system.

Does anyone know how much the pump part of the system may cost? I appreciate there is likely many types and sizes of pumps but this is for a residential development around 2.5m total fall from the street to the pit traveling up around 35m.

Cheers in advance

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

3. albanga

Thanks Scott, couldn't find price though? Also not sure which one would be most relevant?

4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

There was another thread recently with costs I think
    Give Trade link a call

5. bob shovel

You need to check the pump curves (graphs) to see what's suitable. The design should specify litres/Min required one would think, you've got the head. then find the graph that suits

6. albanga

Thanks @bob shovel
    I think I found the thread and the going rate seemed to be about $1000 for the pump!
    If so where on earth is the other $14,000 coming from? I'm not doubting it as every building quote I had ranged from 15-20.
    Obviously a bit of excavation and creating the actual pit, piping.etc and probably a fair bit of labor involved but still.
    Happy to hear the actual pump is not signifanct though as I am likely going to have to get a couple I have just been informed.

7. bob shovel

Pit, pipework, guttering?, pump install, sparky, conduits
    A sewer man hole used to go for around 15k ~1.5m deep, 1m diameter pit. That's just install too

Sackie likes this.
  8. albanga

Bloody hell!
    The background behind me asking is I have subdivided my block and sold of the front. The permit states the development needs to discharge to curb via a pump pit and the engineering design needs to be approved by council prior to construction.
    The existing old house storm water currently just runs and empties into the rear of the block so obviously this is a major issue I need to rectify when I build. I had engineering done early in my planning stage but my design has since changed but as part of this they did a storm water design and it showed the existing house connecting into the same pit. The engineering did only have 1 pump but a couple of builders at the time who looked at it said that they guarantee you will need 2.
    The new owner is actually bound under the permit as the title has a 173 agreement but I'm willing to cop the cost of the pit for the sake of not dragging out the process (not to keen to knock on his door in a couple of months and say "hey mate got 7.5k to go halves in a pit". Given he is going to be my neigbor for a while I'll wear it).
    The 15k quote provisional is based upon that design which I doubt will hardly change except maybe council will ask for the second pump.

Sorry long story! But basically I was trying to identify if the builder has allowed 15k for it and then council says I need 2 pumps instead of 1 then really it's nowhere near another 15k. It may be an extra 2k for a pump and an electricians extra labor?

9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@albanga I haven't read the thread in detail, but are you certain council will allow a pump system mate?

Edit: Ok just read approval recommends a pump. In that case 15k is cheap i reckon. OSD's can be up to 50k.

10. Skilled_Migrant

Skilled_Migrant Well-Known Member

Is it the same issue that was discussed in Jul last year ? Connecting neigbor to storm water pit?

Is the extra pump in the same pit ?

If yes, Heads up...Bad news ahead
    • Second pump is usually a back up that cuts in if the first one fails. Don't ask me what happens when the power fails :confused:
    • The two pumps operate in tandem i.e. if one operated this time, the next time the other one will operate.
    • If you are going for two pumps in the same pit, you will be up for additional cost of the electronic control system as well, as the system is no longer controlled by a simple float. The control system is a lot more expensive than the pump
    • Since it is a council condition, your best bet is to show the AS/NZS xxxx compliance to the council as cited on the engineering drawings and beg :eek: them to accept the engineering drawing. Finally the risk is that of the engineer who has signed of on the drawings and the calculations.
    • If the council still refuse send an email to [email protected] with a copy of engineering drawings asking them for a ruling. You should get a reply within a fortnight. Council can still refuse but it will be more difficult.

11. Skilled_Migrant

Can I be your neighbor ?;)

12. bob shovel

Have you had this issue before?

@albanga I'm not familiar with residential pumps for storm water, but when you have 2pumps it's usually a duty/standby arrangement. So one pump is the "duty" which runs as required, the "standby" is purely if the duty fails. The standby will have a cycle programmed to "exercise" it every so often but it's just the back up until you fix the duty pump

Might a bit more than 2k unfortunately. You'll need the pump (1k) plus you'll need a different control panel (or what ever electrical they run off) still off the shelf but slightly more gizmo's, check the pit size is adequate for 2,do they have guide rails or just submersibles dropped in? There may be an extra valve or two (non return valve may be built into the pumps) depending on what they have.

First step check the design and calcs.council are just putting the cost back onto you, likely they don't know what they are doing and just using you to cover the cost of the contingency pump which may not be needed at all. Get the engineer to check it all out. Perhaps council will be happy with a bigger tank, more storage which buys time to fix the pump if it fails

Edit. And I'd think they'd still run off the original design float aka "bulls balls "

Last edited: 22nd Feb, 2016
    Sackie likes this.
  13. albanga

@bob shovel thanks so much for your replies! It's that sort of experience and advice that makes this forum the greatest!
    council has not said a thing yet, they are awaiting my engineering design for the system. I had one designed but it needs to be updated as my plans have since changed (only minor changes though which I think will have no effect on the system).
    It might not even be an issue at all! My builder has quoted on this design and perhaps the engineers have done them before knowing it will suffice. I am just a natural worrier with this stuff and like to try and get on the front foot. I am just trying to allow for a "what if".

@Skilled_Migrant I forgot I even started that thread :)
    Yes it is the same thing but has changed now since I actually sold the block adding another layer of complexity.

14. albanga

So I just took a closer looker at the original storm water plans and they have already allowed for a "Submersible Dual Alternating Pump".
    @bob shovel I can send them across to you for a look if you want? I can PM you, just let us know.

Thanks again all

15. bob shovel

Yeah send it through.
    Designers usually copy /paste a pump manufacturer or item.

"dual alternating" is probably two pumps taking turns at being the duty pump. Otherwise you'll end up with one worn out and the other seized from little use

No Probs likes this.
  16. Skilled_Migrant

Not with the council but with the plumber. Plumber wanted dual alternating, but engineering required only 1. It's a minor slope and pump failure should not be that big a problem. Nevertheless got a ruling from plumbing commission to convince the plumber.

bob shovel likes this.
  17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@bob shovel you need to be officiated as PC's 'REG', Resident Engineering Guru.

bob shovel and albanga like this.
  18. Geelong Cable Locations

Geelong Cable Locations Member

@albanga can I just clarify, has the builder said it will cost $15k and that is a fixed price that you will have to pay. Or has he just allowed $15k in the total budget, but if it cost $5k then that is all he will charge you?

I'd be suspecting it would be the second option and he is just covering himself so that that if there are a few extras in the costs then he will still be within budget.

In terms of the actual cost of the pump itself then I'd say you would be looking at between $1 - $2k, but there are a lot of variables that have already been mentioned early in the thread.

19. albanga

@Geelong Cable Locations it is just a provisional sum so obviously the builder is none to keen to commit to a fixed price.
    When the engineering gets confirmed by council he could likely get me a fixed price then if i requested it.

20. bob shovel

Provisional until final design and specs