Cost of staging a property

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by KLH, 25th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Alex P Keaton

Alex P Keaton Well-Known Member

Hi who did you use @MTR ?

I have an appointment with furniture hire and styling Australia.

2. Bee-mumma

Bee-mumma Well-Known Member

We are in the process of gathering furniture to stage a property for sale. We are spending around $1K... and I have to say that it is quite time consuming! But... the property’s is around the $300K mark, not the $1M mark.
    I can’t justify thousands for pp being able to visualise the space.
    We will keep the furniture & stage another property;)

3. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

Used amazema in Sydney for our place. They did a good job we had a brand new house to sell and furnishing it made a huge difference.

4. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

If you spend about 3k for staging, how much return could you make as opposed to not staging ?

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

You can't really compare unless you have identical townhouses (for example) and stage one and don't stage the other.

Empty houses look much smaller than they really are, and many people just cannot imagine furniture in an empty room.

So as long as we got the cost of staging back, we'd be happy. But I'd suggest it would return multiple times the cost.

And that goes for empty houses and houses with furniture in that doesn't "sell the dream" (either belonging to a tenant or an owner).

6. Sheshop

Sheshop Well-Known Member

I went to an open home on the weekend that is listed with a brisbane based agent that includes staging in her fee. The staging is next level beautiful! The house sold that day and I have no doubt they got top dollar as the home was in a lovely position but was a fairly tired home. The beautiful staging took your focus away from the blemishes and highlighted what the home would have been in its early days and showed off the potential.
    I thought I might add... the home would be around $1.1-$1.3m and if it was presented empty iI think it would have struggled to get $1.1

Last edited: 3rd Dec, 2021
    gman65 and Westminster like this.
  7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

If it's A-M. She does a beautiful job. Her staging inventory is to die for!

8. Sheshop

Yep, that's who it is. Easily $40k of furniture and furnishings brought into the house and all were in great condition, hard to believe they get moved so much and are still in perfect condition.
    I think I read on her page that she has over $1 million dollars worth of inventory.

Westminster likes this.
  9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Would love to see the listing...

freyja and Melburnian007 like this.
  10. Sheshop

11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Its more a case of lower offers and even no offers. Think of its this way...You walk into a builders exhibition home and it always looks nice. Now compare that to a brand new build with nothing in it. Which looks better ? The dressed property allows people to identify with use and scale. They cant image how big a couch is or will think its far bigger than reality but in the saged home they can see just how well a bed fits etc. No builder would have a exy home without it being staged.

qak, Serveman and Charlotte30 like this.
  12. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

We staged a townhouse. There was one identical inside, except their backyard was a little bigger but you had to go down stairs from a tiny verandah. Our went straight out. Theirs had a reasonably new kitchen and floating floors. Ours we were doing that week.
    Theirs was on the market for 3 weeks while we did our reno. It was empty except for a lounge and coffee table and one bed.
    Ours looked amazing and someone tried to get us to cancel the open homes. The other one was listed for $469K. The lady that wanted ours was told the other one would drop their price but she wanted ours. We sold it on the Monday after the open for $475k The other one dropped their price the next week, and again a few weeks later.
    Best $2,000 I've spent. It looked so good I thought I could live there. LOL It's the emotion that sells.
    upload_2021-12-6_15-10-18.jpeg
    [​IMG]

qak, Propin, craigc and 2 others like this.
  13. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Massive conflict of interest with A-M model. I used to be a fan until I delved deeper into how they operate. I am not a fan now. They do have great staging furniture but I'd never engage them personally due to their model

Last edited: 6th Dec, 2021
  14. bamp

bamp Well-Known Member

Why did you do so much renovation just to sell? You're right that the property looks amazing, no surprise it sold quickly - the flooring and lighting makes a big difference in that second picture.

15. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

We owned the property for 10 years. The tenant had been there for years when we bought it and we asked him to leave 10 years later. So NOTHING (bar a hotplate) had been touched in the property for over 13 years. It was pretty gross. The carpet was threadbare and the kitchen was disgusting. We do the reno's mostly ourselves so the upside was huge, for 2 weeks work. We paid someone to do the floor, that's it.

Jordy99, Propin, craigc and 2 others like this.
  16. Sheshop

I’d be interested to know what you mean? I have no idea of their model but I’d love to know what their commission is, I’m guessing a lot!

17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I dont want to get into it too much. This is what I will say which I know is a fact.

Part of their sales pitch is if you engage them to be the selling agents, they will stage your place at no cost. This is true. What is also true is they view each listing they take on as a business decision because they have their furniture invested in your home. They don't want their furniture in your home any longer than necessary for obvious reasons. From my discussions with them and reading between the lines, they want you to have your bottom line price at a point they believe will easily sell without too much dilly dallying. I got the distinct sense there was a conflict between doing whats in the best interest of the seller and cycling their furniture asap to the next sale. I had warning bells ring and my gut instinct (from the way they were talking) was they would pile the pressure on you during the campaign to sell. The setup wasn't for me. Just do your thorough DD on them if you intend to engage them.

freyja, qak, Ms Molly and 1 other person like this.
  18. Sheshop

I get what you mean, and in all honesty I was expecting that. I've dealt with similar styles of estate agents in the past. I had a doozy once. She was all smiles and promises leading up to getting the sale and even wrote 2-3% commission "seller to decide" on the forms. Well when I decided on 2% she flew into a rage!

19. Ladylord

Ladylord Well-Known Member

Will definitely be doing this when we sell our investment home since it'll be empty, and the fixtures are a tad dated, so need something to spruce it up and give a better impression. Small price to pay for better returns.

20. qak

qak Well-Known Member

I want someone to come and stage where I live (and will stay)!
    I have no idea about interior design & styles.

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF