Cost of Retrospective Building Certification Process

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by mojorising, 23rd Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. mojorising

mojorising Well-Known Member

I am buying a property on the Gold Coast in QLD.

The owners built the house 20 years ago and are now selling it to me.

I have enquired with council about the approvals for the house and they have informed me that building consents were granted for the house 20 years ago but the planning process was never completed. It was constructed at that time but the owners never got the final building certification done so the planning application status is listed as 'post assessment' instead of the usual 'complete'.

I would like to get an idea of the costs of getting the building certification completed in order to negotiate a possible settlement price adjustment.

Some building works may be required in order to meet compliance requirements but that discussion is beyond the scope of this thread.

I am just interested in a rough idea of the approximate costs of the final building certification process for a building which has been constructed years ago but never certified.

2. Ryan Hochkins

Ryan Hochkins New Member

Did you get any info on this, I’m in the same situation so interested in your experience and whether it’s worthwhile perusing and undertaking this later?

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Welcome @Ryan Hochkins .

The person asking the question has not been to the forum for over three years, but perhaps someone else may jump in with some answers.

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Title insurance may have been or be an option. Usually though it is required before a issue is detected.