Cost of Pool Pump and Chlorinator

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Ekin200, 15th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ekin200

Ekin200 Well-Known Member

Hi PC folks.

One of my IPs has a 20+ year old pool and unfortunately the pool filter and salt water chlorinator has broken. This means I have to replace both items at a cost of $2600 and the PM has quoted the following prices inclusive of parts and installation - $1395 for a Astral CA280 filter and $1215 for the Astral E25 salt chlorinator.

Unfortunately I am a newbie when it comes to pools and know nothing about how pumps and chlorinators work.

Base on the PC community's knowledge, are the prices quoted above reasonable? I've been told that I could probably negotiate about 5% off, but that's it. Also, the technician has claimed that the Astral products are made in Australia, reliable and there is easy access to spare parts plus a 15 year warranty.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Cadbury99

Cadbury99 Well-Known Member

My first thoughts are - how does a pool filter break? It’s basically a big drum with some pipes that is full of sand. The sand needs replacing every 5 years or so.
    The chlorinator - unless the controller is caput, why not just replace the cell?
    If you are concerned about the cost why not get a second opinion from another pool maintenance company?

Ekin200 likes this.
  3. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Sounds like the pump has broke rather than the filter as such. Prices seem about right to me (having replaced both myself), although I don't know those models so don't know if they are value for money. I paid almost $2k for a new pump (big one though, I overspecced it a little) and I paid $1000 for a new chlorinator.

Those prices excluded fitting costs, I got the local pool guy to do that for me, was about $500 all up for fitting from memory.

Chlorinators don't last forever regardless of cell replacement, Or chlorinator controller went bang so we replaced it. It would have been about 20 years old I'd guess, as was the original pool pump.

Call a couple of pool supply places and give them those model numbers, see what prices they give you. That'll give you an idea as to whether the quoted price is in the right ball park.

qak and Ekin200 like this.
  4. Chivaun.Shortis

Chivaun.Shortis Well-Known Member

You could always try sourcing the pump and chlorinator online but its a pain to claim warranty if something goes wrong. Experience from a PM side. 15 year warranty I would not be coughing at. Most electrical items these days are only 2 to 3 years max unless you pay for extended warranty.

Tom Rivera and Ekin200 like this.
  5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Pool repairs can get exy and its wise to find a good reliable repairer. The PM may just call in the local poolwerks or someone who sees it as a way to hook into distant owners. Its worth getting quotes...I like a large retail outlet in Sydney and they have heaps of tradies cards etc....Blacktown and several other Sydney locations... HUE warehouse with unlimited options. I have found them helpful and they wont sell you rubbish either.

Blacktown Pool Shop - Western Sydney

I recently looked at a similar issue at home and they suggested a whole new pump and filter etc as a complete kit. They arranged install and all. Cheaper by a LONG way. Quick and easy install too. Buying by the part is like buying spares to build a new car.

Ekin200 likes this.
  6. Jjjb

Jjjb Active Member

Generally filter is around $500 and chlorinators is roughly $600 plus additional smaller fittings $200. So $1300 in materials is about right.
    $1300 in labour may be a bit high. Try get a second quote from competitors like Pentair.

Ekin200 likes this.
  7. Ekin200

Thanks for the info.

8. Ekin200

Thanks. I am noticing the quoted prices in the northern suburbs of Sydney are higher than the quote provided by the pool shop in Blacktown.

9. Jjjb

Jjjb Active Member

Yeh, that’s pritty standard . What suburb was home in?

10. Ekin200

House is in St Ives. I've just sent a text to my PM to see if they cancel the work order.... I could have saved at least $500 by going to a warehouse in Hornsby and organise them to install instead. FML.

11. Jjjb

Jjjb Active Member

Yeh good call, goes to show what a little investigation goes to save you.

Ekin200 likes this.
  12. Ekin200

Hi Paul,

Just wanted to say thanks for your advice on visiting Pool Spa Warehouse. Went to the local store in Hornsby and saved close to $900. Also appreciate your advice on Land Tax calculation in another thread. My goodness... I didn't realize how complex Land Tax is when you factor in joint ownership etc.

Best regards,

Ed

RyanB likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia