cost of building duplex in Sydney area

Discussion in 'Development' started by PeterS2021, 13th Jun, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. PeterS2021

PeterS2021 New Member

Any idea for the cost of duplex by project home builders such as: rawson homes?
    For a roughly floor size: 420sqm.

I am planning to build a duplex in Parramatta area. Now, I am doing budget calculation. Does project home builder include knockdown, DA, driveway etc in their tender? What is definitely not included? (subdivision? )

Thank you.

2. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    2200-2500 per square metre seems to be the going rate , according to people I’ve spoken with recently who have been looking at building duplexes . Keep in mind , the cost of most materials has risen this year and is about to rise again , so those prices may yet higher. If you want the build to be turn key , you should probably count on a higher rate than above .

Sackie likes this.
  3. David_SYD

David_SYD Well-Known Member

Me and a mate were just talking about this. Did you end up getting quotes? And where in Sydney?

4. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

I've built 2 sets of duplexes a few years ago and chose to go with a small custom builder instead.

I considered the project builders but for my style of project (higher end finishes) the add-ons became huge. It depends on your target demographic.

I've seen prices range from $600k to $1.1m. As Euro says, materials costs have also risen a lot recently, so my prices are from 4-5yrs ago. The project builders often will split out site costs, DA, council fees, contributions, surveying, driveways, landscaping, window furnishings etc

David_SYD likes this.
  5. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

420 area including: building, alfresco, garage, balconies? Starting quotes are close to around the 2-2.5k per sum to get a very rough guide.

If so, I'd 'start' to budget around ~$800k for the build, and rising for higher quality/etc. Similar to rates mentioned by euro. We've noticed build costs up ~5% since Feb alone too. Add in all your planning costs, council costs, etc to that figure too.

David_SYD likes this.
  6. Kal Inati

Kal Inati New Member

The $2500 per sqm, does that apply to single story duplex or double?

7. Jmillar

Jmillar Well-Known Member

I'm currently getting plans drawn up for duplexes in Sydney - will be double storey (about 450sqm total incl garage) and we are being told $3000-3500/sqm by custom builders. Add $25k for architect plus probably another $30-50k for other consultants etc.

This is a medium-high quality product in the Inner West, end values will be around $3m each side.

Project home builders will be a fair bit cheaper but depends where you are building. In our area it wouldn't make sense to save $300k using a project home builder, as it will probably cost us double that on the end values.

Bara Mundi and Scott No Mates like this.
  8. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

building noob here so sorry to highjack the thread

so if a land is 400sqm (for simplicity sake)

duplex split 200 each

built cost $2500

total is 500k per house total of $1m

i understand this is really down to basic, but god damn if that is the rough maths i need to split my house

9. Lincsus

Lincsus Well-Known Member

Building price is per sq metre of covered area. That includes the building, al-fresco and balconies. If your covered area is 400 sqm, then 1 million is a decent estimate using 2500 psm cost.

10. Lincsus

I have two duplex builds going on at the moment. Cost for one is about 1800 per sqm and the other about 2500 per sqm. Prices vary according to the location of the build, more expensive close to city and eastern suburbs. Your design also makes a big difference in the cost. Cheapest I have seen is about 1500 per sqm for a basic build. All for double storey builds.

courtst likes this.
  11. courtst

courtst Well-Known Member

$15k or $18k is pretty impressive during these times of shortage of material and labour !

craigc likes this.
  12. Jmillar

Jmillar Well-Known Member

What locations are these in? Custom designed or project home builders?

13. Lincsus

Western Sydney - Parramatta area. Custom builders.

14. Lincsus

All builders have been impacted but some have been impacted much more than others. Good builders have been able to build the homes with just a little bit delay.

15. leonard157

leonard157 Active Member

Does this apply to St George Region? and may you share the builders you used?
    Very much appreciated.

One of my trusted friends (also a selling agent) advised recently cost might be around 2800-3000 per sqm for duplex brick double storey (still unsure if it's custom or project:rolleyes:)