Cost of Building a Granny Flat - QLD

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by Tim & Chrissy, 1st Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

We are considering building a granny flat to improve yield. We have spoken to MBR Council and on the face of it we can build up to a 55sqm flat.

Has anyone build a flat from scratch in the greater Brisbane Metropolitan area? What were your rough overall costs including build, fencing, driveways etc.

Has anyone gone down the pre-fabricated path? I know in NSW they aren't considered granny flats under the SEPP and also aren't considered in valuations due to the fact they are transportable and can be removed from the site.

2. Tibbs

Tibbs New Member

Hi ... not many replies! Do MBR Council allow you to rent out a granny flat to other than family members? I was under the impression they dont!

Your question about costs is a broad one ... I suppose it depends on what & how? I am about to start out on a project of building a 70sqm granny flat in the Logan area. But I will be using a kit home, and be doing all the work myself, other than that which I am required to use licensed tradesmen. So big savings! early days yet for me though.

3. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

As of 3 days ago they do!

The buildings must retain a relationship though e.g. sharing of utility bills.

At an educated guess I'm looking at $120 - $150k however that's assuming I'm looking at costs similar to NSW

4. Tibbs

Tibbs New Member

Thats too much for a 55sqm dwelling IMO ... a ball park figure to play with, assuming you are going to get someone to do it all for you, is $1500 -$2000 /sqm. So using the mean figure of $1750 x 55 = $96,250. We are talking about the cost to have the Granny Flat designed, approved, built, finished – nothing more to do under roof. You will need to add fencing & drive onto that, but those figures are dependent on you block. In Logan you need to provide undercover parking for ONE car ... so factor in a basic carport. Still all doable for circa $100k

Tim & Chrissy likes this.