Cost of building a deck

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Rugrat, 21st Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Hanison

Hanison Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of another product then.

The aluminum is wrapped in vinyl though, is it not ?

What happens when you place a piece of metal under the sun and then try and stand on it ?

2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

@Hanison there's another product called composite decking I think, the stuff they use to cover the side of spa. Haven't look into it so don't know much.

The aluminIum is powder coated? No mention of vynil

3. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

I paid more than that in materials for the same size deck.

Mine would have cost around $10k (probably a bit over) - was done in the ACT.

We used composite decking (from memory that alone was $3k or $4k delivered), stainless steel posts, etc (again - cost a **** load) and merbau around the top (covering all the posts).

Cheers

Jamie

Rugrat likes this.
  4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I did two decks, front and rear treated pine (not the cheap bunnings rubbish) 0.5m high. worked out materials $70-80/m2 from memory.
    Had a chippy mate help chip away with me. I screwed the buggers! Good cost saver as it takes time.
    From memory they were 15 and 25m2

5. Rugrat

Rugrat Well-Known Member

Well we had one quote done. Ended up getting quoted for 33m2 area. Metal frame, composite decking. $12,750. We have another mob coming in on thursday to give us another quote, but I have a feeling it will be around the same.

Will probably still be getting it done. But will be holding off on the pergola on top (another $12,000 +council permits for gable roof colourbond and metal). Perhaps just buy one of those cheapie gazebos from bunnings for $300 instead. May not be as pretty, and not permanent. But it will give us shade to have our BBQs under and thats all we need for now.

6. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    17K cash for a 44M2 ( 11 x 4) merbau deck with roof/pergola... @ 6 IMG_0001.jpg IMG_0002.jpg IMG_0005.jpg IMG_0007.jpg IMG_0010.jpg years back

P j T, aceinfo, melbournian and 2 others like this.
  7. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Mine was a bit under $10,000 in total. Was $3,200 for the materials. This was for a 9x3.5m and included 22 bleeding hardwood sleeper joists on stainless stirrups, merbau decking, galvanised nails in pre drilled holes manually hammered, one full day of the builder and his labourer doing pick and shovel ground works, a concrete drainage pit under the deck, a 2x1m concrete slab for a small garden shed on the other side of the house and a 2x1x0.6m sleeper garden bed off the side of the deck. Also a painter came out 3 weeks later and did a strip clean then 3 coats of sealer. Enough sealer left for another 2 coats in a couple of years. Slab, garden bed, strip and paint were cashies outside of the contract though.

OP can start at a ballpark of 5k and work up from there?

8. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member