Cost of building a deck

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Rugrat, 21st Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Rugrat

Rugrat Well-Known Member

Anyone able to give me a rough guide on how much it would cost to have a deck built? Roughly 5m x 4m.
    Just after a ballpark figure to start rough budgeting before I actually go and get some quotes.

2. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

We just had our front one rebuilt after the old one rotted away.

In Melbourne, so fees etc may differ, but ours was 11x1.8 (just under 20m2 which is what you're looking at at 5x4).

Drawings - draffies wanted anywhere from $1000 to $2500 (I did them myself in the end)
    Heritage permit (due to heritage overlay), I think it was free, or negligible
    Building permit $800 ish, ($500 permit plus 3x $100 inspection fees)
    Material and labour came in around $9000
    They budgeted about $2k on top of that for inset LED lights, I did those myself using Bunnings low volt ones for about $400
    Clean and oil 6 weeks later - $500

So, all up but with me doing the drawings and lights was about $10,700 - that was treated pine frame and treated pine posts into new concrete footings and Merbau deck with Cabbots oil.

I should also add that we had a pattern laid - 4 inset diagonal areas with double and triple picture frame surrounds which would have added to the labour time and material, if it was a standard pattern, i.e. all boards laid one way, it would have been quicker and less framing and decking material required. Having said that, seeing as how I drew it in 3D cad I was able to give him an accurate material take off and a proper detailed dimensioned drawing for the framing, noggins and pattern so he actually ripped though in in no time in the end.

Cheers.

Rugrat likes this.
  3. Propagate

Also - if you know what you want and your budget, try hipages - Home Improvements, Renovations, Find a Tradesman - hipages.com.au I was skeptical when someone put me on to it at first, but it is fantastic. I've used it to source a sparky for some major electrical work and my deck guy. Both times have been a massive win, ended up with brilliant tradies and both the readies have said what a great service it was their end too.

Rugrat likes this.
  4. Rugrat

Rugrat Well-Known Member

Thanks. :)

5. Raydar

Raydar Well-Known Member

All depends on if you want to get your hand dirty or pay someone else to do it. I got quotes for a deck with the design we wanted and didn't get one under 20k. 7m*3m with roof.
    In the end, I decided to do research and built it myself all within council regulations, with out having to go get a DA.
    Total cost was approx 8k, including electrical.

Azazel, Rugrat and WestOz like this.
  6. Propagate

Curious when you without "having" to get DA? In VIC you have to have a building permit for a deck over 10m2 regardless of who builds it and whether it's built to code or not. If I remember rightly, could be wrong, but anything with a roof needs a permit regardless of footprint size?

If the council spot it on Google satalite, (which I'm told they do go looking), then it'll be a big PITA to have it retrospectively certified. For one, you'd be pulling up some of it so they can check foundation depth etc.

7. Raydar

Raydar Well-Known Member

NSW its 25m2. So it is more flexible.

Many types of minor home renovations and small building projects such as the erection of a carport, balcony, deck or garden shed don't need a planning or building approval. These types of projects are called exempt development. As long as the building project meets specific development standards and land requirements, no planning or building approval is needed.

Department of Planning and Environment - Systems

Specifically

http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/fragview/inforce/epi+572+2008+pt.2-div.1-sdiv.6+0+N?tocnav=y

P j T, dmo and Propagate like this.
  8. Savannah Martin

Savannah Martin Member

Yes, decks are quite costly. We decided to build one for one of our houses and it turned out to be a lot more expensive than we expected. It was 6X4 and it cost us around 7 thousand.

dmo and Rugrat like this.
  9. Vacant

Vacant Well-Known Member

We just had one put in around our pool. About 25m2 merbau on treated pine sub floor cost $6k. NSW again so no need for a DA.

Attached Files:

Rugrat likes this.
  10. Rugrat

Rugrat Well-Known Member

I'm ACT. Pretty sure we are good for up to 50m2 without council approval, so long as it stays within the exemption guidelines (which it will). So that isn't a big concern. ;)
    I have someone coming out to give me a quote on monday. Fingers crossed it's about what I am expecting or we may be going to concrete instead.

11. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Crikey, that's a big difference.
    It definitely helps if you can do some stuff yourself, or if you know someone.
    I might give you a call next time ;)

12. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

$5,000. Ballpark.

Rugrat likes this.
  13. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

I am a Carpenter in Sydney and we do decks. Price is approx $250-$300/m2 depending on type of decking, height off the ground, width of decking board, access to the site etc.

Hard to quote with limited info. There a few things that need to be factored in.

Rugrat likes this.
  14. Brian84

Pretty spot on for a standard deck.

15. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Sackie likes this.
  16. Brian84

To be honest I have not used this product and am not sure on material costs and how it is installed so I cant really comment sorry. Doesn't look to bad though and it's maintenance free so that's a good start.

17. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

It got me at "maintenance free" ;)
    Will see if I can get some quote down the line

Brian84 likes this.
  18. simnatped

simnatped Member

Knotwood aluminium, that must be the stuff my sister used for decking in her IP. She said it looks just like wood but isn't wood, and never needs any maintenance. She said if they ever build a deck for their own home it's the only stuff they'd use.

19. Hanison

Hanison Well-Known Member

Fake timber in my opinion is sad.

It doesn't look like timber at all. It looks like a barrel of crude oil.

Call me a purist.
    But timber should be used for construction and plastic should be used for holding your groceries in.

20. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

But I don't want timber... I want metal that look like timber ;)
    Knotwoot is aluminum, can't use it to hold groceries