Cost of blinds

Discussion in 'Development' started by FireDragon, 30th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. FireDragon

FireDragon Well-Known Member

I've a quote for installing chain operated roller blinds for 49 units. Fabric is Kenzie Haze and the cost is around $69K inclusive of GST.

Is this reasonable?

Thanks in advance.

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

How (non) standard are the widths?

The Y-man

3. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

I had spotlight measure, custom make and install blockout roller blinds for 3 windows last year. Each window was about 0.6m wide by about 2-2.5m high. I chose a mid range fabric, and bought them during a 30% off sale. The total cost was just over $1000 if I remember correctly.

If you want something cheaper you have to buy pre-made blinds of whatever sizes are standard and available and install them yourself. The quality and durability is much poorer in my experience though.

Good blinds are expensive.

4. ChipDIY

ChipDIY Member

Not sure if you are still looking to get blinds/quotes for this job but when it comes to blinds, the prices vary a LOT. They depend on the blind size and fabric type you choose as well as who you buy from. One retailer could charge 200 and the next 400 for same or near enough product. If you are still looking to get this done, post some measurements.

5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I just ordered an entire house full of blinds at approx. $1200, possibly more windows and doorways than yours. We will install them ourselves. Yours work out to be $1400 per unit installed - seems fair to me.

qak likes this.
  6. FireDragon

FireDragon Well-Known Member

We accepted the 69K quote as we didn't have time to find another one. The tenants wanted to move in asap.

7. ChipDIY

ChipDIY Member

Ok. Thanks for letting me know!

8. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

I find the mechanical side on cheaper blinds ia rubishr.

Our last job we have European made winding mechanism the cord is smoother and blinds feel so much better than the Bunnings off shelf staff.

Cost was $150-370 per window depending on size

9. ChipDIY

ChipDIY Member

There are better options available than bunnings and stores like it. Generally, off the shelf blinds are made to be cheap/cheaper and accessible now. To be cheaper they need to be made with cheap componentry like fabric, bottom rail, tubing and chain mechanism. They are not meant to last nor to look fantastic, they just need to do the job. Now, if you want to buy better product, you need to look at proper custom made and good quality stuff. As a comparison, pillar elegance blinds at bunnings are ready made with elegance fabric, which is made with dulux colour combinations, but looking at the photo they appear to have budget components. They do offer free cut down service which is convenient, but does their cutting equipment seal the edges of the fabric at the same time it cuts it (to prevent fabric fraying)? If not, then that makes them inferior to custom blinds. On the other hand you have these dawn blinds. Dawn is better fabric plus these blinds have well known quality components. For the same size dawn will cost a little more, $167 on sale here, but you get a better quality and you can also pick and choose from the available options. Downside is that you need to wait 2 - 3 weeks for them to be made and delivered, while elegance you can pick up now. At the end it all comes down to what these blinds are for, your place or some quick reno/flip job. If you need blinds now bunnings and spotlight are your best bet but if you are happy to wait few weeks then there are plenty of available options out there.

10. property_geek

property_geek Well-Known Member

I just finished installing roller blinds chain operated in my newly purchased investment property. 8 blinds averaged width 1.2m from spotlight off the shelf for $482.

Had to cut them to fit. Did it myself. Took 3 hours.