Cost of advertising on realestate au

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Dna, 26th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Dna

Dna New Member

Hi all,

I am selling my home and have spoken to various real estate agents. I was told by one agent that the cost of advertising on real estate .com au was around $1800 for a premium listing?!! And $800 for a highlights listing? Other agents have quoted lesser ($650) for featured listing on the same website. Would anyone know if $1800 is overpriced or is it the actual cost?

Premium: $1800
    Highlights: $800
    Featured: $650
    Standard:??
    I know rates for it vary based on suburb, but this sounds a bit (really) overpriced- at least for premium. Any help is appreciated. Thank you .

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You cannot advertise on re.com.au without having a commercial agreement with them. Their rates are negotiated with the agency & commercial in confidence.

The agency cannot receive kickbacks without disclosure.

The cost of the the marketing also includes the preparation of the adverts, copywriting, use of agency template etc - it's more than just the cost to place the advert.

3. Chicken or Beef?

Chicken or Beef? Well-Known Member

From what I understand the premium listing price is based on the area so $1800 could be correct if it’s in an area with a fairly high median price. I paid around that recently selling in a Sydney suburb with a median around 1.5mil. Domain was similarly priced. All up we paid 5k for marketing. Property sold in 3 weeks slightly above what I expected so I am happy with the result.

Alternatively, I sold a property in Logan (qld) the year before and I paid zilch for advertising, the agent paid for the premium listing themselves. So I assume it wasn’t much to do it, much cheaper area.

4. Dna

Dna New Member

Thanks, my suburb is not in that range in the market - ie, not millions - maybe around 650-750k in VIC. That is why i am finding this quote of $1800 for a premium listing a bit hard to digest.

5. Dna

Dna New Member

Thanks, I get that there is work involved in putting up an advert on RE. The premium price quoted to me was just for RE website advert. They have quoted me extra for photos, copywriting and other stuff. Plus commission. I am looking at the highest quote for marketing my suburb- when compared to other agents.

RE really needs to provide clarity to home owner sellers too, not just agents.

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The agents are their customer, you/your property are the product.

Jacque and Zoolander like this.
  7. Bradley Peet

Bradley Peet Well-Known Member

Prices sound reasonable to me. It does depend on the deal the firm has struck with REA/DOMAIN etc but mostly prices are similar across the board.

And people think we're the ones making bank rolling in our BMW's ;)

8. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

I do find the cost of listing in RE/Domain completely ridiculous - just looking at recent sales campaigns to sell my property in Sydney's inner west, the Premiere/Elite packages etc are $1,800-$2,100 each :( On top of photography, copywriting etc marketing cost ends up about $7k+

Stoffo and Scott No Mates like this.
  9. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

I know some regional sales agents who have ditched re dot com because of fees and use a combo of smaller portals, because they have extensive personal networks in their towns they seem to get away with it. Creates arbitrage opportunities for buyers too.

10. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

It may well be $1800 for a premium but just keep in mind that for a basic listing chances are it wont cost the agent anything over their monthly subscription. It only costs extra when you upgrade the listings.

11. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

It all depends on which package the agency has negotiated with the advertiser.

They can choose to go for all Premium only which will result in a lower cost to the agency and sellers for a Premium listing, in other words the agency can only sell a premium add to the vendor. The more options to the agency will result in different prices for different agencies.

For example an agency who is on a 'Premium All' package will be cheaper in the same suburb when compared to an agency with the option for Premium, Highlight, Featured and Standard adds. More options = more expensive.

That's why you can see different marketing costs from agency to agency.

12. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

It really depends on how people search for property doesn't it ?

I enter suburb I want to search and click map, then I search.
    This way I can see major/minor roads, railway lines/stations and shops
    I don't get any particular place being the top listing just because of someone's budget.

If the majority searching just scroll through with all the premium ad's appearing first, then maybe this is the best campaign for you.

The last time I advertised on RE it was via a sell by owner group, this cost less than $400 (supplying own pics and blurb) So $1800+ is :rolleyes:

Archaon likes this.
  13. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I've used Cubbi before and it was pretty cheap (but can't recall cost so won't take a guess here). It got me on the big sites.

14. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Are you sure you need a premium listing? I paid extra for premium when I sold and it was a complete waste of money. I only needed a standard listing.

Gilles Maragnes likes this.