Cost for established hedges

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by Cimbom, 27th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Just wanting to get a ballpark figure for buying established hedge type plants. I'm not really a green thumb so would want something hardy that doesn't require a lot of maintenance. In total, it would be about 20m in length lined up and about 1-1.5m in height. It would be part of a bigger landscaping project. A rough price range is fine. Thanks :)

2. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Very much depends on the plants and how big they are. You would need a minimum of 40 for a dense hedge at half meter spacing. So 40 x the price of the plants. Nice 1m tall established plants could be $50-$100 each so $2000-4000 for instant hedge. At the other end of the spectrum 40 x tubestock plants and maybe a bag of dynamic lifter all for under $100 and if you are patient you have a hedge in 6-12 months.

Hardy - maybe Duranta, Murraya, or dwarf lillypillys

Marg4000, Cimbom and hobartchic like this.
  3. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Will you be able to water them? for the first year?
    Are there any drains or pipes nearby?
    Do you want to block things out?
    Think about the end result,
    How high do you want it to grow once it is established?
    Will you have to trim it ?
    Can you do it on a ladder?
    Given that you are in Canberra , can you get your hands on some well rotted manure?
    OK I am laughing now..
    I hope this helps.

Blueskies likes this.
  4. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Thanks. I didn't realise they grow that quickly so the tubestock plants may be a better option

5. Blueskies

Oh, didn’t realise you are a Canberrian in that case your choices are:

Liberal party hedge: Use a landscape gardener, hedges are delivered most effectively by the private sector.
    Labor party hedge: Everyone has the same hedge and the wealthy subsidise hedges for the poor.
    Greens party hedge: Hedges only, no development. Legalise hemp hedges.
    One nation: A large, thorny hedge to keep the immigrants out.

qak, Jess Peletier, craigc and 7 others like this.
  6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I'd be surprised if a plant could grow to hedge size from tube stock within a year, especially in Canberra with a shorter growing season. Even if it did, it would require frequent pruning.

Checking gumtree, there's some 40cm plants for $12 or so. I wouldn't check gumtree for gumtrees.

Get advice from a nursery, even if you didn't end up buying there. They should know well what goes well with the climate.

Plants from Bunnings may be ok, but they won't necessarily be good for Canberra, and may not be acclimatised, which would be important until frosts finish.

River Road nursery in Oaks Estate sometimes has good prices. They're open on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays

Stoffo, Cimbom and Blueskies like this.
  7. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

You'd be wasting your money and a lot of water on anything other than tube-stock. One:drought conditions - the babies need less water and adapt more quickly to presiding conditions Two: the only way they become 'established' is to grow where they are. Htree: 'established' plants for sale is a misnomer. They were established but now they're not.
    I wouldn't be planting anything in these conditions.

Cimbom likes this.
  8. Blueskies

Actually agree with @geoffw , bit colder in canberra, things will grow slower. Below is a hedge I planted last summer up here in sunny Brisbane. These were $2 tubestock, Duranta 'Sheenas gold', spaced 30cm apart. It has been a cold dry winter up here, and I have pruned it to keep it low. Bit of water and organic fertilizer and it is starting to get there.

IMG_20180828_075925_540.jpg

9. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the tips. I'm a complete newbie at gardening so it's very useful

10. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Sheena's gold are such a pain to grow and trim, try Orange Jessamine next time- such a nice thick and easy growing hedge.

Cimbom likes this.
  11. magyar

magyar Well-Known Member

Hi Tom. Would you recommend the jessamine as a natural fence option. I am considering hedges as we have a large corner block so not too keen on fencing 50m+. I was considering on planting hedges the whole way around. But I already have enough work to do in garden so need something relatively low maintenance.

12. Blueskies

I have some Murraya's too (Orange Jessamine) which I am doing a bit of a topiary type thing with, and agree all things being equal they are a nicer hedge. But I do like the colour of the Duranta, they are hardy and the lime/yellow is a nice contrast to the green lawn

Cimbom likes this.
  13. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

I've always been told Sheena's Gold is hardy... but if you'll see from the attached photo, that hasn't been my experience :p

Attached Files:

Cimbom and Blueskies like this.
  14. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Yep, they are certainly hardy. We have one in our backyard, around 6m tall, thinking of cutting it down in the hope that it will bush out. Scared I will just kill it!

For a hedge I would suggest murrayas or lilli pillies.

Durantas grow easily from cuttings, if you know someone who has one just offer to trim it for them! They grow like wildfire and are quite hardy. We have them here in Brisbane, you would have to check how they go in Canberra.
    Marg

Cimbom likes this.
  15. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Many merchant banks or broking firms can advise on hedges too

XBenX and Cimbom like this.
  16. geoffw

That's generally for establishing new hedges. I'm not sure if they are in the business of selling established hedges, as per the OP request ;-)

Cimbom likes this.
  17. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Camellias make a good hedge when the soil is right, mine make a stunning display when they are flowering ... PS mine are japonica's.

Jess Peletier and Cimbom like this.
  18. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

We see how you became a mod. You are quick

Cimbom likes this.
  19. geoffw

You have to love the internet. You can ponder an answer, take a few minutes to think about it, and post. Then somebody says that was quick.

It doesn't happen in real life like that.

Tom Rivera and Cimbom like this.
  20. Ricflair

Ricflair Well-Known Member

Murrayas are kind of a bit dated now.

Try a plant called summer scent. Much more modern look and same effect.