Cost for driveway and side gate

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by SmileSydney, 11th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. SmileSydney

SmileSydney Well-Known Member

I have tenants who want gates put into my rental property in Sydney before signing a lease. They seem like a good family and they want the gate for their young child (all understandable).

I received a quote which seems high:
    1. Side gate in colorbond $900 (ex-GST)
    2. Driveway twin swing gate in colorbond $1700 (ex-GST)

Anybody had these done recently? How much should I pay? Recommend any tradies?

2. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

Seems cheap to reasonable. Get another couple of quotes.

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Do you specifically want colourbond?

Also does a post need to be set into the ground for each side of the double gates or can one side attach to a masonary wall? Will the quote include concreted-in posts or just metal posts with a bottom plate screwed into an existing concrete terrace etc?

Can the pedestrian gate be attached to a masonary wall on the hinge side?

I ask, because setting a post takes more time and materials than just anka screwing a batten to a masonary wall.

4. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I recently installed a colorbond gate and post with all fixings at a property in Campsie
    $660 installed (material cost $430, labour to quote, measure, order & install)
    So the price sounds close to right, maybe a little high !
    As @hobartchic said, get more quotes
    (Or google search supplier, order yourself and pay a handyman to install)

SmileSydney likes this.
  5. SmileSydney

SmileSydney Well-Known Member

I'm not specifically after Colorbond - it's what they proposed in the quote. I was thinking something basic would suffice (e.g. galvanised steel).

You would think mounting to masonry wall would be sufficient but the quote proposed 2 posts for both side gate and driveway gate.

6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I wouldn't usually hang a gate directly off the brick. I screw a wooden batten or post into the bricks and screw the gate into that. The batten distributes the load and gives an edge to screw the hinges into.

If going colourbond, they may be using matching metal poles. They might attach these to the bricks with brackets, or screw through the base of the pole into the concrete if it’s suitable. Or concrete the post into the ground... various options.

In Melbourne, merbau or fence palings or pickets are often used to clad gates, metal less often. I did my first gate using a kit set frame from Mitre 10, treated pine decking boards, a 90 x 45 batten on the brick side for the hinges and a galvanized metal pole concreted in on the other for the latch. Cheap as chips and still going strong!

7. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Fabricated and powdercoated (colorbond) fencing does look great.

I was asked about a sticking colorbond gate today, between a garage and a retaining wall
    The wall has moved, squashing the gate
    My advise was to remove the post and replace with smaller post or fix hinges straight to the garage wall.

So posts can give you the oppertunity to "adjust" when things invariably move, or the tenant hits it with their car........