Cost for 2 meters deep padded area?

Discussion in 'Development' started by melbourne171, 8th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. melbourne171

melbourne171 Well-Known Member

Due to subjecting to overland flow overlay, it is required the house to be built on a padded area with RL= 28 meters (above the sea level). After getting the contour survey done, at rear requires a pad upto 2 meters high (see image) whereas about 1 meter pad in front. It seems to be very expensive to pad a area of 530m2.

Traditionally, compacted soil fill is used to pad an area. What are other options to pad area more cost effective?
    Retaining wall and balcony required.png

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

By 'padded area' do you mean on stumps?

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I assume that you mean that you'll have to consider slab on fill with 1-2m high retaining walls all round. Alternatively using pier and beam construction with a timber floor.

Your terminology is shocking.

4. melbourne171

Thanks for reply.
    It is the terminology from flood report. I am waiting for my town planner's reply on Monday.

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Is this your Hamptons house?

I can see now that the driveway is a common driveway which makes sense as to why there was bushes where I expected there to be a crossover.

Regardless of retaining and sand pad - which is going to cost a fortune, I don't think a 3-4m area to back out of a garage is going to work. In WA you have to have 6.5m to reverse and swing out in forward gear. I have no idea how people are going to get out of your garage.

I'd also be concerned about the location of the sewer line and how close the pool and the house are to it.

Is it too late to run??

Tufan Chakir likes this.
  6. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

I think you have some issues with he layout. As Westminster says - garage access won't work (in Vic the usual turning circle is also 6.5). 2 m high "pad" - are you sure this is going to be acceptable? There could be issues with overland flow, so building up ground level and creating a pad might not work. I'd be investigating a lot more before proceeding. Get some preliminary building advice - you're also going to encounter overlooking problems as well.

Westminster likes this.
  7. melbourne171

Thanks Westminster and Tufan.

1) You get all the points. It is a common driveway of Hampton house. I talked to Town planner today and we will engage with a civil engineer to redraw a proper driveway.

2) My town planner said that we can build the house on suspended floor (on the stumps/poles) for the rear (an option is suggested by flood report) instead of sand pad. We only need sand pad/concreted foundation in the front where driveway and garage require. Otherwise, it will cost a fortune :)

3) I will ask architect to remove the pool. It is non sense to keep the pool there.

The house is being rented out. I just want to see if there is any luck to get DA approval with minimum initial DA cost. If not, then hold for capital gain in the future.

Last edited: 9th Jan, 2017
  8. LJW

LJW Well-Known Member

My comments:

1) I agree with the above comments. In Brisbane, the standard aisle width is 6.2m (to comply with TAPS requirements) in order for safely cars to manoeuvre and out the garage. This can be reduced, but you will need to adjust the width of your garage accordingly. i.e. the narrower the aisle width, the wider the garage needs to be. You architect may be able to prepare some turning templates for you (as most have the required software). Otherwise you will need to get a traffic engineer to prepare them for you. Shouldn't be any more than $200-300 for this. At the very least, I would say that you will need to increase the front setback of the house (to allow enough driveway width + landscaping).

2) I would double check this with your TP. The plans above show the whole 230sqm building pad of the "upper" lot being filled to a height of 28m AHD. This is required to achieve 230sqm of land above the defined flood level (due to overland flow). Normally, you need 300sqm of flood free land but it looks like your engineer is proposing an alternative solution, which explains why Council have also asked that you provide plans of the houses along with the subdivision DA.

Council will condition this as part of the subdivision, which means that the retaining walls/filling etc will need to be completed as part of the subdivision (before the new lots are created).

3) Yeh, the pool will probably need to go.