Cosmetic cover up of shower mould in grout

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Rich W, 22nd Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Rich W

Rich W Well-Known Member

I have a bit of black mould discoloration of the white grout around the bottom of my shower tiles. I have removed as much as I can with bleach and scrubbing however it is quite discolored still. Any recommendations/products to do a cosmetic cover up without having to scrape and re-do the grouting between the tiles?

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

If bleach did not fix it, then scrape out and redo grout is the only decent option. You might get away with using a grout pen (White Knight), if it is totally clean, but I'm not too sure how it will go.
    White Knight 5ml White Grout Pen

3. Rich W

Rich W Well-Known Member

Cheers

4. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Yeah, grout pen is the way to go.

5. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

If it's mould at the bottom few rows it means the shower is leaking and the sheeting behind the tiles is damp (hence mould coming back after cleaning)
    Regrouting will be a temporary solution. The shower needs stripping out and re- doing. The sheeting needs replacement, then it will be dry and can be waterproofed then retiled.
    If your planning to renovate down the track then regrouting might buy you time and slow the leak but usually it's just going to hide the damage behind the wall for longer. If the skirting or architraves in the bathroom have swollen or moved from the wall then it really should be fixed properly.

6. Ambit

Ambit Well-Known Member

The join between the wall tiles and floor tiles is usually caulk, probably silicon, and when mould gets into this it seems to grow through it and is impossible to completely remove. The only answer is to scrape out and replace.

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.