Coronavirus

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Lizzie, 29th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I think the video link of the chap who's Chinese wife is a doctor talks about how this is more serious than influenza in this other thread Coronavirus and property values
    It is in post #148 I think.

2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Ebola was very localised, spread through direct contact. While the flu is far more widespread and responsible for many more illnesses and deaths, coronavirus is a disease with very little natural immunity and no vaccine, unlike flu. If efforts to contain it and to develop a vaccine are successful it won't be a problem, but it has the potential still to be very bad. The bushfires, as bad as they were, would have been a lot worse without the efforts of thousands of people trying to control them

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

yes, also talk of a vaccine by August???

i am just putting it into perspective as per my link flu vs corona, stats in US

It was the end of the world according to the media when ebola broke out in 2014/15? hysteria and panic, doom and gloom. We are still standing

at the same time not planning any trips to China

Last edited: 11th Feb, 2020
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

No idea? But I would probably more likely to believe Harvard medical school

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Be careful who you listen to (you said it yourself). I'm not sure if you watched the video. He's explaining about why you should be very careful of who you believe.

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

For sure

Seems many getting caught up in the hysteria of it all thanks to the media, it sells papers after all.... ground hog day again, why I mentioned ebola.

I expect it to blow over after April, according to what I have read??? Lets see

7. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Incorrect.... the issue is the rapid transmission rates of the Corona virus and mutations. It has killed more people than SARs in less than 4 weeks when it blew up.

Ebola was localized to certain African countries and well contained. Death rates were less as the transmission rates were less.

I am more concerned that is not treatable...and I am not sure a vaccine could be developed for something which is mutating like crazy...

Better to be cautious....

There is no question that is going to affect the economy and thus the housing markets.

8. geoffw

The numbers aren't that big yet. But the number of deaths doubled in the last week. And doubled in the week before that. That's scary.

Effects are being felt already in economies. For Australia, Chinese people not being able to travel. I would have thought the US would be the same.

In China, many workers can't return to their jobs, and production is slowing. That's going to affect other countries. They're already suffering from swine flu affecting their food supply badly.

This is from five days ago, things may be changing.
    How the Coronavirus Epidemic Could Upend the Global Economy

I'm not talking about "what if", this is what's happening now.

The stock market however appears to be going along well, despite a couple of dips. It's not a disaster scenario at this stage.

9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Depends on what you read

summer will kill coronavirus what some medical experts are saying??? Geez I hope so

10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

11. geoffw

The virus has only been around for a month. It's impossible to know how it will behave in summer vs winter. Unless the spread slows down a lot, it will be too late by summer anyway.

12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

thats right no one knows

but according this article/report coronavirus has seasonality.

I am no expert but it makes sense to me, how this may play out come summer......we will find out soon

Will summer kill the coronavirus?

Coronavirus outbreak: WHO doctor slaps down concerns over media hysteria | Watch News Videos Online

13. geoffw

That article was inconclusive. While there is reason to suspect that there may be seasonality, it's too early to tell that. Other viruses have seasonality, but it's too early to tell with this one. The article also points out that while it's summer in China, it's winter in the southern hemisphere; and tropical areas don't have this seasonality. MERS was another form of corinavirus and did not have a seasonality.

But that's ok, let's just wait until summer in China, and the vaccine in August, and don't worry about it in the meantime.

14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Negative news will impact on markets, its already hurt AUD. But I think it will be short lived and rebound. Time will tell

15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I am not sure what you are doing? I wont be travelling to China :)

Whose waiting?

This is what different countries are doing to stop coronavirus from spreading

also interesting check out how contagious corona virus is compared to others on this list

16. geoffw

You've stated that a vaccine will be available by August. And suggest that summer will kill it off. Your posts give the impression that there's nothing to be concerned about. I don't agree with that view.

17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Not sure what to say.....

I am posting information/links on what I have read and sharing this information, same as what you and others are doing. Whether it actually happens ..... as I said time will tell

Are you saying you only want me to post what you want to read?

18. geoffw

I said I don't agree with your view. That's my right,and the right of anybody here. Please don't put words in my mouth.

19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Please re read my post, I said according to the ARTICLE and provided the link

20. geoffw

My point is that summer, even if it does kill it off, is a long way away, as is a vaccine by August. To rely on those events is futile. If the current rate of infection and of fatalities continued (and I certainly hope it doesn't) it will be a huge epidemic. It remains to be seen of current control measures are sufficient.

I read the article. It wasn't even conclusive about summer killing it off. Osterholm doesn't agree with Adalja. A similar corona type virus wasn't seasonal; it's far too early to know how this one will behave.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.