CoronaVirus - Possible Vaccines and Treatments

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by paulF, 25th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

When would we expect to see the impact of the vaccinations now rolling out in the UK and US?
    I imagine it would take at least a couple of months to vaccinate enough people to start seeing a difference?

2. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

The official word in Europe is that it cannot be bought privately and that all is fair and equitable, but obviously this is not the case. So Australia is a bit different if it is officially possible there.

3. Casteller

All countries in Europe now being vaccinated, started today. Would expect to see an effect on death rates very soon since vulnerable being vaccinated first, continued spread wouldn't kill so many in theory since the unvaccinated are young/healthy.

chindonly likes this.
  4. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

5. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

There are three vaccines that are either available or will be available shortly (Pfizer, AstraZeneca, Moderna). I believe Australia has agreements to purchase all three of these and is actually manufacturing one of them locally.

There will be other vaccines available over time too (especially via the COVAX initiative) - which the Australian government has not purchased stocks of, but may become available locally through private distribution.

I see no problems with people receiving the vaccines privately through supplies organised via pharmacies or GPs or private vaccination clinics (eg Travelvax). It will be no different to getting Yellowfever or Hepatitis vaccinations when travelling - you go and pay for them.

The free vaccinations will be rolled out to everyone over time - it will take time to vaccinate the 20 million or so Adults in Australia.

People needing to travel for work should be able to get themselves vaccinated from a private supplier.

There will also be a percentage of the population who are not covered by Medicare and thus will not necessarily be in line to receive the vaccine for free (I'm not sure if announcements about this have been made yet). For example, foreign students / backpackers / etc - these people need to have a way to pay for the vaccine, especially since it may become mandatory before you are permitted to fly on some airlines.

Travelvax has some good general information on their website about COVID vaccines: Latest Updates on Coronavirus COVID-19 Vaccinations (no, they don't have supplies of the vaccines available themselves yet and aren't expecting them anytime soon).

6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Anyone know what the plan is for under 18s? I believe that none of them are approved for use with minors so I'm curious what the plan is - will vaccinating adults give enough herd immunity that we don't need to? Is there a plan to get it approved for under 18s?

7. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Testing is underway with some of the vaccines for 12 - 18 year olds. I haven't heard any updates on that recently.

Reports I've read are that kids under the age of 12 are not considered transmitters of the virus - something about the antibodies that young kids generate that older people cannot, so they probably won't be considered a priority.

No doubt we'll know more towards the end of next year.

Westminster likes this.
  8. Casteller

Private vaccination now is not right, in a year or so maybe. Demand way exceeds supply, queue jumping will cost lives, it takes supply away from higher priority groups.

{Note from mods - this thread continues here: COVID-19 vaccines [Health & Family]}

Last edited by a moderator: 3rd Jan, 2021

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia