CoronaVirus - Possible Vaccines and Treatments

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by paulF, 25th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a tinfoil-hat anti vaxxer post (of which I'm sure you are not)

Is a stock sale relevant? No.

As an ordinary citizen I care whether a successful vaccine has been created, not the timing of a management stock sale.

Besides, when are they supposed to sell? These incentive plans usually represent a fairly large part of the remuneration package so would you not want to capitalize on a 40% runup? What would be a non suspicious exit point for you?

2. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

As an investor, my preference is for high level executives to be given stock options and be held at a lengthy time, which would show/demonstrate executive trust in their product, reinvest in R&D. Can't tell people what to do with their money. And besides, "lengthy time" is relative. How else would we know if the product is safe or not? "Lengthy time" ...

upload_2020-11-18_9-41-32.png

He is worth US$3 billion. As of May 2020, he has cashed out $89 million. Again, I don't know what he does/does not do with his money. It's about instilling confidence for investors and customer base for their product.

upload_2020-11-18_9-42-8.png

'Bad Optics' Or Something More? Moderna Executives' Stock Sales Raise Concerns

3. trinity168

4. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

That's fair enough, but what would you want if you were the exec? At the end of the day everyone is out to make a living and I he probably thinks the 40% stock run up has long term success baked into the price already so what financial incentive is there to hold on any longer?

I also prefer to see exec's keep a meaningful holding throughout thier tenure, but I dont think exec selling suggests the vaccine will be ineffective as the article attempts to imply.

trinity168 likes this.
  5. trinity168

upload_2020-11-18_10-23-29.png

Only time would tell ... :)

6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Moderns and Pfizer have already started that they'll be selling for a profit ... between $50-60 for a two injection course

Oxford have said they'll sell at cost ... $10 for a two needle course

That's a lot of price gouging imo

krispy, wylie and trinity168 like this.
  7. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

It's hardly price gouging

Not withstanding their different cost bases, there is considerable expense and risk at the R&D phase that has to be compensated for. Not to mention the vaccine is a one trick pony only sold once.

There are so few vaccine manufactures because the risk-return profile to a business is so unfavorable.
    I dont think circa 5x cost is exobitant. For perspective what does a Nike t-shirt sell for vs its cost to manufacture?

Shazz@ likes this.
  8. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

If you buy company shares (under a scheme) or get given shares as part of remuneration at my company, there’s a minimum of 3 years before you can sell. I suspect it is similar with Pfizer and other pharma companies.
    So what he sold was something most likely received some time ago.
    But I do agree with you, it’s not a good look, regardless of what the actual truth is. Perception is everything.

trinity168 and wylie like this.
  9. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Or Microsoft. Products costs bugger all to manufacture.... they basically have a monopoly, and they charge what the customers will pay....

wylie likes this.
  10. random

random Well-Known Member

l'm well aware of all that, l've said right here quite a few times the whole American thing is a disgrace.
    l was just sayin.
    They were talking possibly even Dec , yesterday. But who knows, l'd never say never though and that wouldn't surprise me at all.

Last edited: 18th Nov, 2020
  11. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

13. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

OK so the latest is vaccine distribution in Oz en masse from March '21. I wonder how quickly it'll take to deploy assuming 3/4 of the population opts to get vaccinated. I'd say maybe 4-6 months max. Should be made compulsory IMHO.

14. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

They are expecting that everyone who wants to get vaccinated will be able to do so before the end of 2021

15. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

It's old news now, but there are question marks over the AstraZeneca results. It would appear that more trial results are needed before approval can take place, at least in some countries.
    Has Australia picked a 'dud' COVID-19 vaccine'? The experts are divided

Shazz@ and paulF like this.
  16. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

I don't know about others but hard to trust a Pharmaceutical company that paid almost half a billion dollars in fines since 2000 for all kinds of violations. I really don't feel comfortable about any of the vaccines especially ones using new technologies.

17. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

The AstraZeneca one uses old technology ... the latest issue with the trial results is that some received half of the initially recommended dose for their first injection, and actually ended up with higher immunity ... pretty cool

There were no side affect illnesses - and even those who did get covid after vaccination were extremely mild

paulF likes this.
  18. random

random Well-Known Member

Uk plans on rolling out Pfizer next wk,l rest my case. As l've said all yr no ones gonna be dilly dallying around 5 yrs or another 6 or 12mths on vacs, and l seem to remember mentioning maybe even Dec , of cause that was all impossible too ahh, no it ain't.

19. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

20. random

random Well-Known Member

Someone else is also beginning roll outs of a vac next wk. Pretty sure this was someone else apart from the UK and US; just caught the tail end of a news clip sbs tonight.