CoronaVirus - Possible Vaccines and Treatments

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by paulF, 25th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Shazz@ and paulF like this.
  2. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

hydroxychloroquine...hey

when trump was talking about this drug people laughing.....

Quarantine the people who are at high risk and open the country for business...simple as that.

MTR and Doncossack75 like this.
  3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

It's still not proven. While it's possible that it may be useful, there have been no unequivocal double blind trials - and some trials have been abandoned due to side effects.

In the meantime, due to the demand, my wife who needs it for her condition, is having trouble finding it.

Shazz@ likes this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Drug has been endorsed by this medical body in US
    https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/nyp...droxychloroquine-to-coronavirus-patients/amp/

Happening in Australia
    Controversial drug hydroxychloroquine to be given to coronavirus patients in Australia

I watched interviews 2 corona patients saved by using this drug

Last edited: 10th Apr, 2020
    Toon likes this.
  5. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

I am one of those lucky (or unlucky) people that actually need Plaquanil/ hydroxychloroquine to keep my rheumatoid arthiritis under the control. I have been taking the drug the last 10 years without any side effects. A few weeks ago I went to get my repeat prescription filled in the pharmacy, but they did not have any stock! Looks like GPs and Dentists have given prescriptions left right and centre and people with the real need of the drug (like me) are missing out.

geoffw likes this.
  6. geoffw

My wife is in a similar situation.

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

this medical body has endorsed the drug and using this today

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/nyp...droxychloroquine-to-coronavirus-patients/amp/

8. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Peak health practitioner body doesn't share the enthusiasm

Australian government experts at odds with health department over using hydroxychloroquine to treat coronavirus

kierank and Shazz@ like this.
  9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

paulF, Doncossack75 and Toon like this.
  10. geoffw

That article says that it's endorsed for use on seriously ill patients - but it also says that it's still of unproven effectiveness. They are at a stage where they've got nothing else to lose - but there's still a question as to whether it's actually effective.

Shazz@, wylie and Lizzie like this.
  11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes I know, thats exactly right
    That’s what Trump was stating at a press conference.....to be used for critically ill patients, I think media cut that bit out:rolleyes:

same as cancer patients, when there are no other options, they may be given an opportunity to try a drug which is still in trial/experimental stages. What do they have to lose

its a no brainer

12. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Actual wording from the ATS: ATS Publishes New Guidance on COVID-19 Management:

While the guidance includes suggestions relevant to all patients with COVID-19, ranging from outpatients to critically ill patients, most of the suggestions target hospitalized patients with COVID-19 pneumonia.

The main suggestions are:

• to perform prone ventilation in patients who have refractory hypoxemia and COVID-19 pneumonia (i.e. acute respiratory distress syndrome [ARDS]),
    • to consider extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) in patients who have refractory hypoxemia, COVID-19 pneumonia (i.e. ARDS), and have failed prone ventilation, and
    • to prescribe hydroxychloroquine (or chloroquine) to hospitalized patients with COVID-19 pneumonia if all of the following apply: a) shared decision-making is possible, b) data can be collected for interim comparisons of patients who received hydroxychloroquine (or chloroquine) versus those who did not, c) the illness is sufficiently severe to warrant investigational therapy, and d) the drug is not in short supply.
    The evidence that exists around the use of hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine is contradictory.

The Y-man

wylie likes this.
  13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

This is US..... covering their arse in case of litigation me thinks.....

14. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

What really raises the suspicion heckles regarding Trump pushing this drug, is that he should not be recommending any UNTESTED drug. If the recommendations came from his the medical advice team, different story, but they are repeatedly contradicting the recommendation (and please don't quote the snake oil merchant Dr Oz)

Hydroxychloroquine For COVID-19: Cure-All Or Flim-Flam?

Fauci: no evidence anti-malaria drug pushed by Trump works against virus

'No miraculous recovery': Some ICU doctors say hydroxychloroquine isn't helping sickest patients

kierank likes this.
  16. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good" rings a bell in the current environment.

Is it not a good thing if an existing drug can save even one life? As long as existing drugs are available to current patients who need them, every candidate of these drugs that might help in saving lives from Covid-19, no matter how few or many, should be trialed and tested and then prescribed if it helps.

MTR likes this.
  17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I think thats the point and why I say logic should prevail

i watched an interview where a coronavirus patient was saved due to this drug.
    If it saves lives brilliant.

they are using it in New York now, really interested to see how it pans out

18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I agree - just don't believe it should be flogged by any world leader who readily admits they doesn't read the information presented to them

However - thought this was rather poignant and the information changes daily (if not hourly). Be great "not" to flog into anyone regarding their past opinions as new data comes to light:

Screenshot (262).png

19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Read the title of the thread, POSSIBLE vaccines/treatments

Unless you have concrete evidence lets not go down conspiracy theories as its meaningless nonsense and diverts from the real important topic of saving lives

20. geoffw

Two trials have been abandoned due to side effects
    Coronavirus Sweden: Chloroquine trials stop due to side effects | Daily Mail Online

French hospital stops hydroxychloroquine treatment for COVID-19 patient over major cardiac risk

kierank likes this.