CoronaVirus - Possible Vaccines and Treatments

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by paulF, 25th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Marg4000 and MTR like this.
  2. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Shazz@ and Lizzie like this.
  3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I thought the next war would be over fresh water ... but perhaps it might be over a vaccine

Coronavirus: UK, US, Canada accuse Russia of hacking virus vaccine trials

"
    Britain, the United States and Canada have accused Russia of trying to steal information from researchers seeking a COVID-19 vaccine.
    The three nations allege that hacking group APT29, also known as Cozy Bear and said to be part of the Russian intelligence service, is attacking academic and pharmaceutical research institutions involved in coronavirus vaccine development.
    Britain's National Cybersecurity Centre made the announcement, which was coordinated with authorities in the US and Canada."

twisted strategies likes this.
  4. random

random Well-Known Member

l was surprised to hear that because two wks back they said Russia may have it's own vac anyway and was testing on humans .
    TBH , gotta wonder about all these Russian accusations myself , often they're just too obvious and Russians just aren't that dumb.

5. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

7. DrunkSailor

DrunkSailor Well-Known Member

Progress on corona vaccines are being fast tracked unlike previous viruses that didn’t cause a global shutdown 6B59794A-F137-4066-A548-F878BE3CBA06.jpeg

8. Zimplestiltskin

Zimplestiltskin Well-Known Member

It's looking good. At this rate, I think we could have it around June 2021. The vaccine was made in a couple weeks, these trials to date have been done in parallel but the final safety testing trials will take the most time. Then add production and distribution.

9. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Starting to see maybe over 50 percent wearing masks in Brisbane now when i go out and shop early morning at 24/7 outlets so at least some are trying ..

Stoffo, The Y-man and Lizzie like this.
  10. DueDiligence

DueDiligence Well-Known Member

You know how the SARS 1 vaccine ended hey?

11. Property Baron

Property Baron Well-Known Member

I heard they have had some type of success... with this vaccine but only in younger people:confused:

12. Property Baron

Property Baron Well-Known Member

Great that really surprises me:) Especially after the government telling us for months there is no scientific evidence that support wearing them is necessary:confused:

willair likes this.
  13. random

random Well-Known Member

Ah, the whole mask thing was a bit silly l mean it's always been pretty obvious. Which way are you most likely to catch the flu , with somebody with the flu coughing and breathing around you with you both wearing masks or both not wearing masks.

Last edited: 21st Jul, 2020
    Lizzie likes this.
  14. qwertyui

qwertyui Well-Known Member

No demand = No research efforts.

Who on earth would put resources to develop Sar 1 vaccine,which has absolutely zero demand? If there is any Sar 1 outbreak ( which is 0 for more than 15 years), no government will vaccinate 70% the population for such low tramission disease whereas the cost of normal quarantine and medical treatment cost a fraction of that.

If one's crazy enuf to try develop the vaccine, there is 0 patient to test anyway ...

Last edited: 22nd Jul, 2020
    Islay and DrunkSailor like this.
  15. DueDiligence

You’ve missed the point. I’m referring to the fact they tried for 10 years to develop a vaccine and failed .

16. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

But who is 'they'? I suspect there are more people working on a vaccine this time around than with Sar 1.

Sure maybe a vaccine will be found and maybe not, but I suspect alot more resources are being thrown at this than there was with Sar1 and as such the likeliness of success that much greater.

Personally I expect we will see a fairly effective treatment if not an all out cure or vaccine.

17. DueDiligence

They , as in the global scientific community

Lizzie likes this.
  18. Melbourne_guy

Melbourne_guy Well-Known Member

With the resources being made available, I suspect something will happen within 24 months. A vaccine will obviously help but its not going to be the panacea many are espousing. As long as coronavirus remains in its current virulent form, there are so many aspects of day-to-day life that was taken for granted 6 months ago that will either not return or be significantly affected, vaccine or not.

As just some basic example if its not eradicated, who wants to go to a bar or crowded area if the possibility remains of being infected? Workplace spacing and facemasks? If insurers insert a coronavirus clause into their travel policies, how many will want to travel overseas if they are not covered by an easily transmittable infection that may require expensive hospitalisation or expensive isolation. Under what conditions are tourists allowed back - are they allowed in if they have coronavirus? Not everything is a road-block and ways around can be worked out but I also don't anticipate everything to be 'as normal' and a significant adjustment period within society will be necessary unless coronavirus is eradicated.

19. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

I would think the global scientific community working on this might be a little larger in numbers this time around, hence a greater likeliness of success.

20. DueDiligence

Panic, fund, pull. That’s the usual cycle for research funding. I believe at the start of this they were in the “pull” phase, now into the panic and fund phase