Coronavirus damage to society

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Someguy, 28th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoHa

JoHa Well-Known Member

Isn't that what we did in March/April? Lockdown, open, lockdown, open doesn't appear a sustainable model.

Imho this is not only a medical crisis as we know. We can't really blame people for going to work trying to make a living and feed their family. Neither can we rob Peter to pay Paul.
    None of this is easy but we need to find a sustainable way forward.

MTR likes this.
  2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

the best case scenario with contact tracing is with use of mobile app according to Lancet. Which we dont have

Many variables here. We wont get to zero so not really understanding how Long this will and play out. Eventually we must have an exit plan

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpub/article/PIIS2468-2667(20)30157-2/fulltext

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

yes agree, but you are forgetting that there are other factors in play, which I have mentioned which is completely out of our control.
    Why we are seeing countries who had success by locking down early now in another wave

0 is not a reality, we cant shut and lockdown countries forever

4. JoHa

JoHa Well-Known Member

Even if we can get to 0 what does it help? NZ. 0 cases but how long can they survive without tourism? Yes a vaccine may help but when will it come? And even if it comes tomorrow, according to worst case projections for the US the number of deaths with a vaccine would still exceed flu deaths.

MTR likes this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I thought the Premiers manage their own States? And get to call the shots?

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Mind you we are trying to protect the vulnerable, yet scrutiny is required now with what we are seeing in State Aged Care Homes.

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

What do you suggest ??

8. Property Baron

Property Baron Well-Known Member

They do but don't they all work of the modelling that Scomo came up with at thew start? Wasn't it his 3 stages to get to the other side or something from memory and that all the states would work off it?
    I haven't imagined this have I?
    Been a Long week

9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

We are going to find out soon

We are out of lockdown in WA, but our borders are still closed, therefore massively impacting on our tourism industry. They are on their knees

Palmer has challenged our Premier In the High Court, and PM is supporting this.... stating unconstitutional

Its likely that Palmer will win this..... Lets see

10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

PM has asked our Premier to open borders in WA as we have no corona cases, he has refused

Now going to court
    Palmer fighting this

11. JoHa

JoHa Well-Known Member

The initial approach of flattening the curve to prep ICUs was necessary. I hope this actually happened. I think key at the moment is to protect the vulnerable in particular in age care homes to ensure their physical and emotional wellbeing. Physical distancing, hand-washing should be further encouraged. Masks may be useful where physical distancing is not possible. Noting that any PPE is a last resort measure. Further measures have diminishing returns in my opinion hence their use potentially do more harm than good.
    To put all responsibility on people is not entirely fair. Noone is purposefully trying to infect others (bar a few).

MTR likes this.
  12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

You just contradicted yourself.

It is because people cannot be trusted to do what is "recommended" that the government needs to step in. Yes ... masks and distancing are easy but the idiots aren't doing it

Andrews had not failed. He implored people to do what's right by that ignored the requests ... hence stage 4

NZ achieved 0 with similar population density because the population did what was asked, which a stoopid percentage of Australians done seem to be able to do. I hope Palmer fails as you don't want this rampant in WA.

Last edited: 2nd Aug, 2020
  13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Stop making sense and being logical:)

14. Property Baron

Property Baron Well-Known Member

Maybe that original 3 step to the other side thingo got thrown out?

15. JoHa

JoHa Well-Known Member

That cannot and should not be the presumption.
    If the government assumes people cannot be trusted, the people have no reason to trust the government. Goes both ways. Takes two to tango....and all the other sayings

MTR likes this.
  16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

No idea?
    The politicians and medical experts cant even agree? No wonder people are losing faith in both

17. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

People can go to work AFAIK. But not out partying. There is a huge difference.

18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I always wait to see the actions, as always speak louder than words ... and a minority of significantly relevant people have proven they can't be trusted by their actions.

When you have people who KNOW they are positive but still go to work or the shopping centre ... jesus christ!

Have no issues with the government's actions beyond the original quarantine mess

Gockie likes this.
  19. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

The majority agree ... perhaps start listening to the majority instead of the conspiracy minority who also believe medicine is made from alien DNA and governments are run by lizard people... also something about demon sex but I'll pass

LibGS and gman65 like this.
  20. JoHa

JoHa Well-Known Member

Not in every industry. I'm sure you are aware of that.

MTR likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.