Coronavirus damage to society

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Someguy, 28th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Some studies say they're effective, others don't. Different techniques are used to measure, so there are different results.

The study quoted suggests that the effect could be negative, because people become complacent and ignore other methods of protection. I figure if I wear a mask, and follow the other methods, I won't have a negative effect, and possibly it will be helpful. It could be that it's helpful to others if I have an infection and don't realise - and I'm less likely to pass it on.

Can face masks protect against the coronavirus?
    Still Confused About Masks? Here’s the Science Behind How Face Masks Prevent Coronavirus

2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I think people in Canberra are complacent because there have been so few cases. As they were in Victoria just a short while ago.

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

This goes for Brisbane too, but now these girls have let the cat out of the bag, things may change. I might have to get the masks out.

4. Property Baron

Property Baron Well-Known Member

Cool mate and I commend your attitude. If we all had this attitude the masks would help prevent the spread of Covid and along with the correct social distancing and hand washing measures we may not have to have stage 4 restrictions as in Melbourne.

geoffw likes this.
  5. JoHa

JoHa Well-Known Member

Leaving aside the wearing of masks, a topic even the experts can't agree on, what is the reasoning for imposing a curfew? Does the virus spread more easily at night?

Joynz and MTR like this.
  6. Property Baron

It's just a way to limit movements I think. Basically everything in stage 4 is about restricting movements.

7. wylie

It will stop people going to nightclubs, standing close together and getting drunk together. That's a start. Short term pain, long term gain.

Casteller, Lizzie and The Y-man like this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Very funny:)

9. JoHa

JoHa Well-Known Member

That doesn't appear to make sense. Nightclubs and bars are already shut under stage 3 restrictions.

Joynz and MTR like this.
  10. wylie

When did that happen? Recently? I'm thinking back to photos of people bunched up outside venues, waiting to get in, cheek by jowl. No social distancing.

Perhaps if people could listen and act appropriately, social distance appropriately they wouldn't have to be locked down.

Perhaps it also captures restaurants?

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

this is a very good point

12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

unfortunately lock down is not actually eradicating the virus. Its impossible as we are seeing.

People can unwittingly be going to a supermarket and could be infected and hence we are now seeing second wave globally

the app failed too

13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Heard now what people should also be wearing is goggles watch these sell out soon

JoHa likes this.
  14. JoHa

JoHa Well-Known Member

Below are stage 3 restrictions regarding restaurants and nightlife etc. In this case it appears the curfew lacks reasoning. If it does reduce spread the government should consequently do a complete lockdown rather than applying an arbitrary time constraint.
    • Restaurants and cafes can continue to open for takeaway and delivery only.
    • Food courts will continue to be closed, but restaurants and cafes within food courts can open for takeaway and food delivery.
    • Pubs, bars, clubs and nightclubs will be closed. They can offer takeaway or home delivery of food and alcohol only.
    • Bottle shops remain open

15. wylie

I'm assuming the app failed because until just recently we didn't have outbreaks. It will be interesting to see how it works now this is spreading through Melbourne. If it has failed totally, then I guess that is a shame. But also, it didn't have a big take up, which also is a shame I guess.

And lockdown might help slow the spread. Eradicate is a big call.

I'll be honest and say I've felt quite safe here in Brisbane, but would not feel safe in Melbourne. These girls have opened a can of worms and we may well have a spike in a week. If that happens, then perhaps we will face a lockdown. That won't bother me, but I know it would be better for our economy if we can avoid it.

Unfortunately, people just aren't taking this whole thing seriously.

Someone suggested ankle trackers for those who are supposed to be isolating. That is a great idea and I'd love to see that happen if people are going to behave like children.

16. wylie

I heard someone (might have been Dr Swan) saying that it is much less likely to enter via the eyeball than the nose or mouth. So the masks with the eye cover possibly aren't needed, though medical staff are wearing plastic shields over the whole of the face at times.

17. JoHa

JoHa Well-Known Member

The big elephant in the room is that this virus may continue to spread uncontrollable even after a vaccine is available. But not many like to discuss this as it is too hard to think about and leads to the realisation that life /death cannot be controlled.

MTR likes this.
  18. Property Baron

It's simply designed to limit peoples movements, just like every other restriction in stage 4:rolleyes:

wylie likes this.
  19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.