Coronavirus damage to society

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Someguy, 28th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

Aside from fights over toilet paper and a few deliberate coughing incidents Australians have been mostly been quite civilised during this outbreak.

Other day heard a comment ‘*********** making a killing while we lose our jobs’ got me thinking, how long till we see a backlash against those still working especially in low end essential services. Also noticing some people being quite smug about being an essential worker.

We are going to see some people lose big out of this and others that will earn significantly more than they otherwise would have made. The longer it goes the more chance of people turning against each other.

Going to be a tough 6 months coming up I just hope our politicians and media can have a common goal of keeping everyone working together to get through this and not feeding hate and unrest

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

this is not up to Gov, but all of us as humans................

Will be a while before that sinks in.

media has little interest in that, and gov should have, but havent yet seen much on that front

So its up to YOU and ME, collectively.

People aligned to one can cause tyrannical govs to fall, so Im sure we can harness the same power for good outcomes as well.

ta
    rolf

3. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

Aside stealing hand sanitizers and masks from hospitals...

4. Someguy

Crap somehow my to became time on thread title anyone know how to correct

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Should be ‘our’

6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

You can report the post and ask a mod to correct the title.

Or you can wait for a mod to notice your post and fix the title, and buy them a coffee another time :)

7. Someguy

Thanks! Times are tough, 7-11 stuff still counts as coffee right?

8. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

If that's your view, the mods might change the title back to what it was ;-)

Propagate likes this.
  9. datto

datto Well-Known Member

This virus has turned my life upside down. Nowhere to go, nothing to do but gang out with some of the locals who constantly cough and sneeze.

Luckily I'm wearing my scary clown mask.

Hmmm, feeling a bit peckish. Might head to the fast food drive thru, if they're open.

10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

what I have been saying seems to be a reality.........a global disaster.

look at what is happening in Spain now, after strict lockdown....

not sure how we can keep Melb locked up, human and economic tragedy. NSW ???

question is how many lockdowns required?

Spain's Coronavirus Cases Surge After Reopening. Here's Why.

Last edited: 25th Jul, 2020
  11. random

random Well-Known Member

Yeah , or NZ in her bubble.
    lt surely is becoming a very very big question in this isn't it .

As far as damage to society and certain mobs racketeering on this , Super Cheap , is charging 16bucks for sanitizer , 16 bucks . Most supes have it for 5 or 6, so yeah , super bloody cheap alright.
    And here's one for ya , my daughter got packs of masks from the 2 dollar shop , 10 bucks, pretty good ones too.
    Well , Cheap as Chips , had the exact same packet , asking 60 bloody dollars . Believe that , a place with a name like that blatantly n shamelessly , taking advantage at a time like this , 6 fold . Unbelievable .

12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Its only going to get worse.... as governments not managing this globally

As I have been saying lock downs not working, But we just repeating same...... what a shambles

BTW.... looking at another Black Lives Matters protest in Sydney... currently in the courts...........

Nearly 40 nations report record single-day rises in Covid cases as public lose faith in governments | Daily Mail Online

Last edited: 26th Jul, 2020
  13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

so true people turning on people, seeing this now. So much misinformation

Not so......media is feeding it..... so they focus on specific numbers for impact but they avoid recoveries and age group stats same as on PC.

Wonder why they do this?

14. PropDir

PropDir Well-Known Member Business Member

Does anyone think people are going overboard with their attacks on Dan Andrews the VIC Premier? Just a few months ago it seemed he was almost being hailed a hero as part of the initial lockdown. Now he is being attacked by anyone and everyone. Sure, as Premier he had some responsibility for all of this, but it's not like he didn't have good intent - this is a really complex issue and extremely difficult to predict scenarios and which direction these events will go.

People absolutely need to take accountability in their roles, but I think people need to chill particularly where situation are often outside the control of any particular individual...

Bunbury, Lizzie and Stoffo like this.
  15. Zimplestiltskin

Zimplestiltskin Well-Known Member

Essential workers should be smug tbh. They don't get paid nearly enough but you recognise now that their job is directly contributing to our final existence in a society. Many of us work jobs that don't improve life for anyone and we get paid a lot more than these guys.

Society is fine and something like this is actually good for us, I think this should give some perspective on life for many.

Lizzie and Angel like this.
  16. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Last week I received an email from the union who looks after school cleaners and aides. Apparently EdQld has offered to give us two days fully paid leave on the last two days of school this year as a reward for our service during covid. I haven't gotten around to phoning back to ask how this will work out, unless all state schools are going to close two days early and there will be no staff or students present on those days to be cleaned and sanitised for, and educationally supported. No doubt the public will first hear of this idea come election campaigning time. It is the same union who cover your ambos and childcare workers.

17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

his a politician, people voted him in to work for them and put their interests first. Voters will need to decide whether he deserves to get back in??

OK, his human but he made many mistakes, the inquiry is now his get out of jail card? I loathe politicians who use these tactics

Last edited: 27th Jul, 2020
  18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

..... But what’s the exit strategy?

I doubt Australia can achieve 0 coronavirus cases without a vaccine

people who have lost their job, business or friends, family will not be fine

Just heard BLM protest will go ahead...... OMG ......lockdowns working well

Last edited: 27th Jul, 2020
  19. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

The Spanish strict lockdown worked, the new cases now are small by comparison to the peak in March and the death rate is less than 1% of the peak. Certainly not worth shutting down again for, targeted restrictions and masks seem to be working.

Lizzie and MTR like this.
  20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

There has to be an exit plan, cant keep
    Shutting down
    Hope our leaders in Oz are paying attention to this

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.