Coronavirus and property values

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by einentiva, 28th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    As an owner of a massage parlour I have a conflict of interest. However, I would have preferred for the government to put a lock down on senior citizens and people with pre-existing health conditions instead of ruining half the economy. The worst part about these regulations is that there are no time-frames and the uncertainty involved. I have no confidence to take out a loan because loans need to be repaid. Businesses of all sorts are in the same predicament. At this stage I'll be laying off all my employees until further notice.

ccsben and MTR like this.
  2. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    While the business aspects are certainly concerning, it looks like you may not be grasping the seriousness of the health consequences of this virus. I have a couple of friends in Europe, both in their 30s who have had the virus. One was down for 5 days straight with constant 40 degrees fever, the other down for 8 days with 40 degrees fever. We're talking young, healthy adults. Much worse for older people.
    Health comes first in this extreme situation. If we let this rip through the population at large, it's going to cost a lot of lives.

3. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Well maybe if they had done a better job in the first place , we would not be in this situation.
    They left the door wide open for virus carriers to enter the country through the U.S , they also seamed to be in complete denial about the virus in the U.S.
    We slammed the door pretty quickly on China , in a heartbeat with Iran , then the wheels started to fall off, South Korea took a while, Italy just dragged along and our leaders were so far up the Americans , we never saw it coming.
    How much money do we spend on these new super agencies that Peter Dutton set up, Border Security and immigration were not even capable of measuring peoples temperatures as they entered the country .
    Its not like they were super busy, as 15%(The Chinese) were no longer arriving

4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

very comforting, hope markets stay strong

Sackie likes this.
  5. chunho01

chunho01 Well-Known Member

I actually see this as a positive development. It's like a 'Pause' button being hit. Price should stagnate now that banks are allowing a mortgage repayment pause as well.

6. DueDiligence

DueDiligence Well-Known Member

I’d say a couple of million people unemployed and banned open homes isn’t going to result in “some flat prices”

TylerJamesson likes this.
  7. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

I got enough email and text messages from agent for private inspection..It doesn’t impact at all. All bull herd would stop from buying without knowing what is going on around them..

8. DueDiligence

Take the temp gun and a mask!

Godspeed!

9. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Oh retailers are monumentally ****ed this time. The restaurants are relatively ok. Poor guys retailers

MTR and K974 like this.
  10. Melbourne_guy

Melbourne_guy Well-Known Member

Just to add to this a bit more...in my search criteria, since the weekend and before the ban, there are more properties being advertised with an EOI and a closing date. Looks to me like a fishing expedition by owners who a month ago were preparing to sell-up expecting top dollar who are now looking down the barrel of a gun and wanting a rapid exit whilst some value remains.

Brickbybrick likes this.
  11. DueDiligence

Anyone who can hold will. Anyone who cant will have to dump it. I expect most sales therefore to be discounted. Who in their right mind would sell and take a haircut If they don’t have to.

This is 1918 & 1929 together. When in history have people stood outside exposed to a virus lined up for a government handout.

This will be referenced in textbooks.

Cia, AlphabetSoup and TylerJamesson like this.
  12. Melbourne_guy

Of course they wouldn't sell if they didn't have too, that wasn't the point of my post. The point was the change in selling methods now prevailing shows more and more people are wanting out but haven't quite got the balls to take less than the previous market prices - they want to gamble that things will go back to 'normal' after this crisis is over.

LeeM likes this.
  13. DueDiligence

Having the “balls” is irrelevant if you lose your income.

14. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

You don’t own property do you @Melbourne_guy ?

15. DueDiligence

50 k cases by mid April, that’s 1500 out of the 2200 ICU beds.

How many ppl will be buying property in the next 8 weeks. Everyone should be inside unless working in a hospital.

Attached Files:

wylie likes this.
  16. Melbourne_guy

...and your point is?

17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

18. DueDiligence

19. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

If anything, it's a record of how media sentiment will change as articles are posted.

Just because an article is posted, doesn't mean it's a message of buy buy buy. Or sell sell sell. You can draw whatever you want to from what is posted.

Perthguy and Brickbybrick like this.
  20. Woodjda

Woodjda Well-Known Member

It'll be interesting to see how fast the media pick up on the scale of job losses. I feel like they're barely aware of what's going on. To put it in perspective California just had 1 million new people apply for unemployment benefits in 12 days. That's over 5% of their total workforce in under 2 weeks.

kingstreet75 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.