Coronavirus and property values

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by einentiva, 28th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cornflower

Cornflower Member

Just had one the same. Started marketing the property and had 3 people make pre-auction offers. Vendor wanted the auction brought forward, so we did.. it was only on the market 9 days. Had 5 registered bidders, all serious. Sold it for more than the vendor had it on the market for (with another agent) in March last year.

It may be a pre-lockdown rush, but I think there are still buyers out there.

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I've just had a conversation with someone who's saying she's heard this is a pre-lockdown rush, and people who've sold and are in the market to buy are rushing into purchases while they can.

My friend's sale might not go through if they baulk at the B&P or cannot get finance, but fingers crossed it does.

Sackie likes this.
  3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

That's very interesting. I've heard somewhat similar from the ground. Lower stock as some pull out. Those committed to buying need to buy and want a safety of a home during this crisis. It'll be interesting.

4. Gabbaking

Gabbaking Well-Known Member

Just returned from auction for 97 Dartford Rd Thornleigh and it went for...

$1,421,000!!!!!

Lol! What recesion and job losses! Within the first two bids we were out of the race. House bought by a Caucasian mature couple with young kid.

Perthguy likes this.
  5. Warrenkh018

Warrenkh018 Member

All congrats to the mature couple with a young kid... but... that means they have to move into the place within a couple of months... if this virus is going to hit hardest in winter.... where are they going to find the removalist to move them?

6. matt_j

matt_j Well-Known Member

That is insane!

7. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Yea interesting. I think it’s holding in the middle class range ($1-1.8m). Seems to be struggling at the more expensive end and high end.

8. matt_j

matt_j Well-Known Member

I really hope you're right as that's where I just bought..

9. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

what I take is different. They rush for some unknown reason, sooner that will get 180 turn. That is just related human mentality and missing out opportunity without seeing bigger pics..

Brickbybrick likes this.
  10. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Oh absolutely, I'm not suggesting they'll hold value. Just interesting watching how it's unfolding. I think risk is to the downside so not sure why they're rushing in

11. ndpjai

ndpjai Well-Known Member

I was thinking definitely it will sell around $1.3m but i was gobsmacked when i heard $1.421m so property values never fail ;)

12. Gabbaking

Bummed out on the missing out the place however they were about 3-4 strong bidders from the Start and bidded in increments of 50k. Our budget was around 1.1m so really didn't had a chance. Not sure how to gauge the market these days.

Prime example:
    3 Adamson Avenue, Thornleigh, NSW 2120 https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-nsw-thornleigh-132773498

13. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

There's always like a half year lag so it will take a while for property market to reflect the recession and stock market falls. Now that interest rates fast approaching zero, working professionals in healthcare related sectors would be feeling very secure in their jobs and wouldnt mind buying into the market.

However there will be many job losses soon in other sectors combined with selling houses for margin calls for stocks, we should see property prices moderating pretty soon.

Gabbaking likes this.
  14. Gabbaking

Let's see how this will pan out. We'll continue to attend inspections but going to reset our expectations and perhaps look for less undesirable blocks.

Now looking back at the property, decent sized flat block, walking distance to school, decent street will command a handsome Price.

Knock down and build and property would be worth upwards of 2m. IMO

15. ollidrac nosaj

ollidrac nosaj Well-Known Member

Just announced No more open house inspections!

16. Waterboy

Waterboy Well-Known Member

Developing Story

ScoMo: Property Auctions and Open Houses/Inspections no longer allowed by tomorrow night.

2FAST4U likes this.
  17. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Well that's the end of this thread then.... :oops:

The Y-man

18. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    The economy is completely screwed. Keating called it the recession we had to have. This will go down in Australia's history as the recession that was government created.

"In the retail space auction houses, gatherings together in auction rooms, that can no longer continue. Real estate auctions and open house inspections, in particular open house inspections, that can not continue...In terms of personal services the following now will not not be able to continue: Beauty therapy, tanning, waxing, nail salons, tattoo parlours and same for spa and massage parlours". ScoMo has even restricted funerals to a maximum of 10 people FFS. Crazy.

19. Triton

Triton Well-Known Member

These are a good measures, you have to be proactive

20. tonyvooz

tonyvooz Active Member

This is painful, but necessary measures. How do you propose we control the spread then? Tens or even hundreds of thousands Australian life are at risk if we don't do what it takes

Citycat88 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.