Corona - What happens if it's just let go .......

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by See Change, 24th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I think it is also for those who die in hospital but nobody claims their bodies, no doubt homeless people and people with no family. Still hard to watch.

2. random

random Well-Known Member

l can't wait to see swedens outcome. Thought they'd be in deep trouble by now and they have had a lot of cases and deaths too , but heard today it's flattening out.
    l mean l do think it was an alternative still with all the common sense and distancing but not actually shutting down. Dunno if that could've worked here though or if there'd be enough trust worthy smarts and good will in enough people to help it.
    We also would've gotten 1000s more cases first though and l doubt our medical side could've coped with that where as Swedens still can right now.

3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Was listening today to the daily update - and the sadness that countries such as Malawi (Africa) have such a poor health system, and high poverty levels where most of the population lives hand to mouth each day - will simply "let it go" to develop herd immunity.

The reason being is that if they try lockdown, similar to western countries, the starvation rate will outstrip the Covid death rate. As such, they are expecting 85% of the population to contract the disease - and 100-150,000 to die (population 18mil) ... experts suspect that's a conservative death rate, given the underlying problems ... but time will tell.

4. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Also it would be good to know the actual death rates prior to COVID-19 to understand the total numbers, human lives we are talking about.

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

6. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

The key thing there is that despite not having strict lockdowns compared to other countries - most people have voluntarily opted to implement many of the same restrictions we have in place in relation to social distancing. So while it is less strict, it is certainly not "business as usual".

I also wonder how well such an approach would work in other countries? My understanding is that Sweden has a pretty high level of social cohesion - meaning that they are generally much more willing to work together and cooperate for the benefit of society rather than for personal gain.

Compared to other countries where personal liberty is given a much high priority - often from an ideological perspective - plus an inherent suspicion of authority, then relying on people to "do the right thing" simply wouldn't work at all.

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I get your point, but Certainly different from our experience of lockdown in Australia

I also read this was considered as a way avoiding economic disaster.
    Sweden said it didn’t need a lockdown because people could be trusted to socially distance themselves. The government still says the strategy is working. – Business Insider Singapore

8. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

10. random

random Well-Known Member

Yeah as l was saying in another thread they're also far more rural'ish than a lot of countries and cities so with people just doing mostly the right thing , add the uncrowdedness and closing crucial things. l mean less than half our pop and starting around the same time they're over 30k now, who knows what's next but l hate to think where we might've been.