Corona - What happens if it's just let go .......

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by See Change, 24th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

What concerns me is what's going on in Spain and Italy.

Surely the entire arsenal of possible treatments that have an even remote chance of fighting the virus is being trialled there vigorously, yet you don't hear of anyone improving bc of drug xyz.

Shazz@ likes this.
  2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Yep. I did rollover testing and identified a number of issues with our systems that would have been a problem if they were not rectified. I spent months with a team reprogramming and rollover testing. We didn't have any issues when y2k finally arrived.

Kassy, Marg4000 and Simon Hampel like this.
  3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Although it may work, the problem with plasmas treatment is that you require blood donors to create they plasma, and hence a limited supply.

An inexpensive manufactured drug would would be a more reliable and reliable solution, especially if large populations in counties such as India or Indonesia become infected

4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Blergh ... what happens when you type a post, then roll over and go back to sleep ... ?

***reliable and affordable solution

5. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Geee

Hey guys we think this medication might work ....

The US , " hey guys they've cured it and you can this tremendous new medication "

ICU contact supply for new supplies of xyzzy

Sorry , we had a rush on that by the worried well , so we don't have any available for your ICU patients .

" CURE " says the headline

Fantastic , guys lets go out and party on Bondi , **** the police .

Infection rates soar and the system gets overwhelmed and old people ( now classified as over 35 die ) .

There are so many reasons why a " cure " won't be publicised at the moment , out side the unavailability of the vast majority of meds in the numbers that you'd need them . Like anything , that wouldn't happen over night .

Cliff

Last edited by a moderator: 27th Mar, 2020
    Kassy, mrdobalina, Toon and 5 others like this.
  6. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Even if they only had limited treatments it would be a huge boost. Prioritise treatment of medical staff.

mrdobalina and MTR like this.
  7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

However, if a treatment became known but only given to those who were considered priorities, there would be rioting and looting and complete breakdown as everyone thinks "they" are the priority - because, to them, they are

Last edited: 27th Mar, 2020
  8. timetoact

timetoact Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm with you.
    I was replying to @Trainee who questioned my reply that if the virus was let go there would be civil unrest.

9. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Drugs aren't a solution for the immediate problem, they take too much time, and there is no time. The only solution for hard hit countries is extended strict quarantine of the population, like China did. Like Spain and Italy are doing now.

On a positive note, new cases and deaths here today (6832,507) less than yesterday (7457,656). They said it would take 10 days for total quarantine to start having an effect, and today is day 11. Its only one day but hopefully this continues.

Still expect a long quarantine, at least 6 weeks. Maybe 2 months, or 3, who knows. Any country that lets up too early will pay a heavy price.

Kassy, Toon, Lizzie and 1 other person like this.
  10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Beggars cant be choosers.....
    The good thing is its approved and we will know in one month if it works

if it does work it will be a game changer

11. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Here's a link for reference:
    FDA to Allow for Plasma Therapy for COVID-19 Patients

While it's promising and will provide some relief, it works by taking plasma from people who've had coronavirus; even then its effectiveness is yet unproven. It appears that its intended to give immunity, not to cure, so would be most effective given to health workers. I suspect that it will take a lot longer than one month for clinical trials.

It was a technique used during the 1918 Spanish flu epidemic with some success.

Lizzie likes this.
  12. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I'm not taking about a vaccine, I'm taking about drugs that can reduce symptoms, reduce the viral load. And yes, of course it will take some time - maybe 2 - 3 months? IF an effective cocktail of drugs is found, GP's can administer them and the vast majority of the infected can recover at home, not in ICUs.

If COVID19 becomes more benign as a result, then the herd immunity strategy can play out and the virus won't be a death sentence to the vulnerable.....life can gradually get back to the way it was etc.

We don't know if a complete lockdown is going to stamp this out because it has to be concerted, long enough and virtually done simultaneously throughout the world. I just can't see that happening. Plus the economic fallout will devastate many families more than the virus itself.

MTR likes this.
  13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Not according to CDD

Tell you in one month

Never said its a cure, its a treatment

Perthguy likes this.
  14. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

You're right, I'm sorry. It can be used as a treatment as well as giving immunity - I didn't read my own link properly.

While this treatment can be used for some critically ill patients (approved by the FDA on a case by case basis), I can't see that the treatment, and the supply of plasma from recovered patients, would be widely available for some time yet. One solution is to use horses to develop the antibodies. These will take some time - this article talks about testing towards the end of the northern hemisphere summer.
    New York Center First to Collect Plasma From COVID-19 Patients as Possible Treatment

Direct human to human treatment will probably be much quicker, but quantities will be limited, as only plasma from recovered patients can be used.

15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Sure we all know a cure is a way off

But I would settle for a treatment at the moment

See Change and Perthguy like this.
  16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Absolutely

As I said it will be a game changer and help the psyche

17. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Hi Sea Change,

When confronted with a life of death situation, the scenario is different. I don’t disagree with what you are saying. The scenario is also different when we are talking about generic drugs that have been on the market for years.

I was just giving you the perspective from the pharmaceutical industry. We are bound by strict regulatory laws, pandemic or no pandemic. If the government wants to test our current non-generic drugs on patients, that’s their call.

At the moment, we have been inundated with questions from our physicians regarding drug xy and whether there is any impact or dangers using xy on patients with COVID-19. Our response is always, ‘there is no clinical data to support this use and any decision on using this drug would have to undergo careful risk/benefit evaluation and is at the discretion of the treating physician’.

Lizzie, mrdobalina and geoffw like this.
  18. Danyool

Danyool Well-Known Member

Sad to see them doing this now in NY.

19. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

The mass graves are for unclaimed bodies - homeless people etc who are found dead on the streets or in their homes - and those who are to poor to afford a burial.

Apparently there have been over 1,000 of those already. Incredibly sad

20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Thought this was interesting
    Number that will trigger end to lockdown

HUGH72 likes this.