ASX Shares Short term COVID-19 opportunities in the stockmarket

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Sackie, 9th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

The issue will be the timing of getting in . Way too early at this stage .

You could take a speculative view point , or aim at those solid companies that won't go under .

My thinking is that unless you know the market , now is not a time to start learning ,and also not a time to trust any advisers .

Good solid companies that are being dragged down with general market sentiment .

Companies like Coles , woolworths , Wesfarms are sharply down , BUT still above their 12 month lows . Maybe when they're 50 % under their 12 month lows it could start making sense , in particular if they're " the lowest they've been since the GFC " .

For me travel is too risky . Travel companies go broke , so do airlines . Qantas goes broke , Government buys it , they need it there , but for the country , not for the share holders . Would they be able to justify putting a couple of Billion of OUR money into a company for the benefit of the shareholders , rather than the country , when they'll have lots of other things they need a couple of billion to prop up

Cliff

KayTea, Froxy, Traveller99 and 6 others like this.
  2. sash

sash Well-Known Member

OMG! :eek::rolleyes:

Someone want to tip in $2m and they have no idea about DCA? Hmm........ :oops:

Brady likes this.
  3. sash

sash Well-Known Member

That would be moi....looking at a 25-30% fall...before I dip my toes and DCA in....

4. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

It is because they are expanding, they are not just retail travel, but they have small offices in cheaper location rather than one big expensive remote location, where customers have the option for face to face, customers can book on line themselves, but it is easier to ring them and ask them to do the booking, and at least you can get refunds and change tickets and do it hassle free with a 1 minute phone call. They have about 30 different buisnesses including plane charter, and financial planning, loan broking, taxation and insurance services. Fast growing and Australia's largest bike and electric scooter and accessory retailer also has online and physical stores. I am going to get me some, to have cash rolling in in 15 years time. Wether the price is $30 or $40 now or next month or even next year doesn't matter.

5. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

That being said, I don't like airline stocks and refuse to buy them!

Barny likes this.
  6. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

I love this thread! Been salivating at the though of all the cheap stocks.

Can't go in with the keg powder of @Sackie but I do have some cash that will go into ETFs when the time comes.

I will take your advice @See Change and spend the next few weeks/months hitting the books.

7. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yep....I see that all the time....

I just checked my existing Clayton's super the performance is as follows:

1. VAS - peak $90.82....now about $75 - almost 18% drop ..bought for $81.00
    2. IOO - peak $56.64 (USD)...now about $49.97 - down almost 9%...bought at ($46 USD)
    3. VGS - peak $88.24 ...now about $75.62 - down almost 15% ..bought for around $73.00
    3. VGS

So significantly down....but hey that is progress....

8. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Why not just buy after it bottom after all.
    It is impossible to pick it - just ride the next wave up - you might be 3 months behind as the chart will confirm that for you.
    But it is PC forum after all - we all like to gossip like little trooper and trumpet.
    Toot Toot Toot.

Jaik2012, Sackie and See Change like this.
  9. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I know death and taxes are the two sure things in life, but I keep seeing funeral homes near us closing down (and becoming townhouses!).... happy to have the commercial prop that houses the funeral biz, but not the biz itself.

The Y-man

10. Marty McDonald

Marty McDonald Mortgage broker Business Member

QUAL is an EFT traded on ASX. I think that is a good long term bet.

for exposure to 200 top companies manly US stocks as per cut and paste below of top 15 or so.

MICROSOFT
    APPLE INC
    VISA INC-CLASS A SHARES
    JOHNSON & JOHNSON
    FACEBOOK INC-A
    ALPHABET INC-CL C
    GOOG US
    MASTERCARD INC-CLASS A
    ROCHE HOLDING AG-GENUSSCHEIN
    ALPHABET INC-CL A
    GOOGL US
    NESTLE SA-REG
    PROCTER & GAMBLE CO/THE
    INTEL CORP
    UNITEDHEALTH GRP

Aaron T and Cmelderis like this.
  11. sash

sash Well-Known Member

IOO is very similar....top 100 global companies...only...

Cmelderis likes this.
  12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Agree. I am not planning to jump in prematurely, however I believe its pure luck if you get in right at the bottom. Close enough will be good enough for me. I'm also meeting with folks who have a solid track record and have helped relatives do very well in this area over the years. No guarantees of course, but i think there will be some decent risk/reward scenarious in the future, if the stock markets keep heading the way they are.

KayTea and significance like this.
  13. chrisoooo

chrisoooo Member

index funds and etfs. stick with them and away from managed funds. schimples.

Aaron T and Cmelderis like this.
  14. significance

significance Well-Known Member

As an existing Sydney Airport stock holder, I can confirm that it is getting hammered. Looking forward to it turning around.

Barny likes this.
  15. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

@Sackie I'm with you on this one.

SMSF is currently 40% cash (partly because of the drop in share value !) and want it back to 30%.
    Only talking a tenth of your figures but definitely burning a hole in my pocket.

I've really done well out of MVP in recent times - can't understand why it has been hit so hard (apart from CEO leaving) - so picking up some of them.

Banawarra likes this.
  16. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Privet!

100% agree Aleksandr ...Sergei...told me to not be too premature.. ;) Its schimples.....
    [​IMG]

Cmelderis likes this.
  17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@hammer from what is happening now and if it continues to go this way, there will be some amazing opportunities.

I am generally not a stockmarket person, but I just canot ignore the opportunity presenting. I missed out in 2008. Not this time.

Situations like this dont come along everyday. I think there will be some massive oportunities to come for those willing to dicipline their emotions and buy well (with expert advise). Lowish risk to reward. I will be increasaing my knowledge as much as possible - but honestly, relying on expert advice (and my own overall understanding of business/portfolio risk) from folks who have done well for family.

Some very exciting times ahead.

Last edited: 9th Mar, 2020
    Brady likes this.
  18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Are you planinng to go it alone or get some advice?

19. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Looking to get into Santos @$3.30. But will be dependnt on overall advice and strategy.

20. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

I’m gonna throw in webjet. Smashed, but in a years time or whenever the travel industry picks up again it will do ok.
    Also I should add I’m not keeping airlines, I’m gonna sell them if they do well later.

Never giveup and Silverson like this.