Corona Virus: How has the Aus Government handled it

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by TMNT, 21st Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

How well do you think the Aus Government has handled the Covid19 situation

1. Theyve done a great Job

42 vote(s)
    40.8%
  2. Neutral

28 vote(s)
    27.2%
  3. Theyve done a bad job

33 vote(s)
    32.0%
  1. random

random Well-Known Member

l can't stand the guy and he's made us a laughing stock prancing around with trump mouthing of over there and mating up with him , banging on about jobs and denying global warming well doing anything about it anyway and withdrawing, we've lost so much respect , if you've read international forums we're famous for our robot money money pm now and Australia is now stuck with some cold money money souless mechanical image thanks to him, read around.
    Even my ex, an italian living in san fran now, emailed me just to ask what the hell is wrong with us over here voting him in. Thank the Gods it wasn't Dutton though at least l suppose or God really help our country then.
    But , l'll say one thing , l do think they've done all they can in all this though and been more than fair too, even if they were lead by nz and a brand new female pm that's just had a baby to boot.
    l can't understand the money thrown around though especially for a lib gov, l mean l get why they have but the numbers are still just staggering and you'd never in wildest dreams believe it if we weren't seeing it don't you think.
    They've done well though it pains me to admit it and also helped at least restore some of Australias soul again in the eyes of the world while they're at it. l mean how would you handle this , you know , what would you do , they have done huge huge stuff, l sure wouldn't want the job .

Last edited: 1st May, 2020
  2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

3. geoffw

random and shorty like this.
  4. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

craigc, jim1964 and MTR like this.
  5. geoffw

I think he was correct in pointing out perceived missteps in handling the bushfires, and in initial reactions to coronavirus.

random likes this.
  6. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

I thought it was pretty spot on.

7. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

upload_2020-5-9_23-18-41.png

Attached Files:

geoffw and HUGH72 like this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

turk likes this.
  9. Butterfly88

Butterfly88 Well-Known Member

As soon as we got off a plane full of Koreans at Sydney airport wearing masks on Feb 27 and saw nothing special re Covid-19 to fill in on our immigration cards we were alarmed at how slowly our Government was moving.

At that time Republic of Korea had the highest level of known cases outside of China. This was our reason for leaving.

Plane-loads of potentially infectious people were arriving and dispersing across Australia well after other countries (eg Korea and Japan) were enforcing social-distancing, hygiene and mask-wearing, as well as tracking and testing foreigners at airports and enforcing two-week quarantines.

My g/f rang the embassy reporting symptoms and asking what she should do and they weren't interested. She had been on a plane seated right in the middle of a confirmed case - which she found out by checking the health website. Nobody contacted her.

I presented to a hospital 10 days after arrival with symptoms and the hospital had no idea what to do. It was all done on the run and the health staff (though very polite with me) were obviously impatient with the lack of information they were able to access around the correct procedures.

They lost my telephone number so I had to call THEM for my results after an anxious 48 hours. It was Rhinovirus not Corona.

Australia had a two-month head-start (at least) to mitigate the spread of the virus from incoming foreigners that was wasted IMO because our PM was scared to close the borders to our biggest trading partners, placing the economy ahead of the people. He finally bowed when the USA started implementing border closures.

We are fortunate to live in a country where the majority of people don't live on top of each other and I believe this is our saving grace, along with the Commonwealth that has ensured Premiers (who are responsible for front-line workers) stand their ground.

I shudder whenever I hear the PM suggest opening the borders to foreign students when I know how many of them live. In a manner very similar to those workers in the "dormitory" accommodation in Singapore, where their latest outbreak has arrived....

Happy Mother's Day!

10. random

random Well-Known Member

Nah it was NZ , nothing to do with the US they're on the other side of the planet nothing to do with us. Countries much closer were well underway as you know, too close. NZ though had the brains and guts and foresight to shut down long before us and put him to shame so eventually he was looking like a fool not too. He brought us in long before the US and the stimulus too. That 2 wks NZ was mentioned in damn near every sentence not only by our gov but our people too wondering wth we hadn't shut down and eventually he finally got the message going with our true neighbours. Another country and relationship he's pretty well lost all respect from yet the most important of all, family.

Last edited: 16th May, 2020
    Lizzie likes this.
  11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Albanese is doing himself absolutely no favours, criticising the government for job seeker being underestimated and costing less

MTR likes this.
  12. random

random Well-Known Member

Haaaa, that ones crackin me up , how in the hell could you blunder 65 b and not realize it for 2mths , l'm amazed they admitted that one l would've quietly just put it back into the kittie myself .

Lizzie likes this.
  13. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Reported as due to when a large number of businesses registered through ATO, they placed 1500 in employees column thinking it was the $ amount per fortnight entitled to. Error then noted when actual payroll information came through for those businesses there was a significant error.
    Whether this is true or not, or just a good cover up excuse for someone not checking the numbers properly - who knows?
    I wonder if hey can make that same ‘ATO error in your favour, collect $200’ on our tax returns :)

random and TMNT like this.
  14. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

I guess we and the government have learnt things on the way as things have evolved this year. Taiwan certainly has the experience in dealing with pandemics more than most. Australia is in a lucky position in that we are an island continent with spread out cities.
    In future, if we stay vigilant and are aware of new viruses being released in other parts of the world we can act straight away and minimise our impact. Being told by the WHO that COVID 19 was not being transmitted as feared is an issue and therefore we cannot trust their administration, but instead make our own judgements and decisions based on our own intelligence.

Marg4000 and MTR like this.
  15. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

until recently I had a pretty positive opinion of Dan Andrews despite the hotel quarantine bungle,

I admire the way he has handled the majority of the dumb/antagonising questions at his daily press conferences, but his constant deflecting of refusing to answer some of the serious questions I am losing respect

LibGS likes this.
  16. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Dan Andrews support drops another notch due to today's announcement that the expedited reopening date won't hit targets and lockdown most likely extended