Corona Virus: How has the Aus Government handled it

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by TMNT, 21st Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

How well do you think the Aus Government has handled the Covid19 situation

1. Theyve done a great Job

42 vote(s)
    40.8%
  2. Neutral

28 vote(s)
    27.2%
  3. Theyve done a bad job

33 vote(s)
    32.0%
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Remembering that the majority voted around a month ago - when cases where shooting up due to borders being closed late and infected people being let willy nilly off cruise ships.

Yes, they've pulled their socks up since then. A month is currently a long time in this pandemic

TMNT, wylie and geoffw like this.
  2. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

There is an option to change one’s vote. I think the Morrison government’s response has improved incrementally over the past 6 weeks.
    Where to next is the question.

MTR, Gockie and Lizzie like this.
  3. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Not much. This pandemic is pretty binary...you either do it or you don't.

It would appear that we did it.

What the news reports aren't talking about are the 25 million other people who are working together as one, regardless of race, religion or politics to get this job done.

To get this far really is an incredible accomplishment and something we should all be very proud of.

random, samiam, Simon Hampel and 7 others like this.
  4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Agreed - but I think of the poll as a snapshot in time ... of the time

5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

We think Scomo handled the bushfires really badly.

But I feel the Government has handled Corona well, apart from letting the Ruby Princess cruise passengers off the ship (this maybe the Border Force/NSW Government and NSW health's fault, I don't know whose responsibility.. maybe all 3). But really, in hindsight the passengers shouldn't have been allowed on the cruise in the first place because there was some evidence of Corona infections on its previous sailing, and that was the fault of Princess cruises.

Other than this, I think the Government has handled Corona well. One thing I would change, I wish we could have non household gatherings of more than 2 here... even say 4 people would be good.

Last edited: 25th Apr, 2020
    kierank likes this.
  6. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Pretty difficult to have a booming economy if we are all dead :p.

TMNT likes this.
  7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

exactly

8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

So many things you cant control in life so why worry about it. We are doing well

9. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

For all those Aussies who aren’t happy with how Australia has handled COVID-19, why not emigrate to say USA :eek:.

Ok, you can’t because they have closed their borders :D.

Toon likes this.
  10. ttn

ttn Well-Known Member

I think Scomo deserves more credits than given since he saved Aust and LNP on too many occasions. Without him, Dutton would be likely the PM and might have lost to Labor then all the NG and franking credits would have been gone by now. On top of that the mining industry likes him and also the Aust Conservatives like Murdoch & Alan Jones etc

Scomo did pray for rain and bush fires stopped. Miracles happened on the last election and again on the fires. How good is that? ;)

If we did not lock down dont think we would be all dead :cool: more deaths but not all dead

Francesco, shorty and kierank like this.
  11. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

I wonder if his poor handling of this improved his response to the virus.

Lizzie and kierank like this.
  12. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I think he learnt a lesson in it, most certainly.

kierank likes this.
  13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I think a lot of what we went thru with the bushfires, somewhat prepared us for covid

14. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

There are some interesting results in a poll about the attitudes of Australians towards the current situation.
    How Australians feel about the coronavirus crisis and Scott Morrison's response - ABC News

85% think that the government is doing enough to protect from health risk, 75% from economic risk

Scott Morrison has a 64% approval; the Queensland premier 65%; NSW 70%; Vic 77%; SA 81%; WA 91%

Australians don't want restriction lifted - there's even a large minority who support stricter measures.

15. James Bond

James Bond Well-Known Member

My friend emigrated to Florida yesterday as her fiancee lives there. I don't know how she managed to fly there, I think she's crazy given the situation there, but they've been apart since December. She's on some sort of temporary visa so the borders must be pretty porous.

kierank likes this.
  16. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

I think the poll was asking about the federal government's performance, at a time when the response was clearly being lead by the states and the commonwealth was being reluctantly dragged along. I think they are fine with that, because the national cabinet gives them political cover to distance themselves from certain measures. You can see that going on with schools and Victoria at the moment.

I'm just thankful that we had strong leadership from the states to fill the federal vacuum and make the hard decisions (I'm talking about health measures here, not the economic response).

Lizzie and Gockie like this.
  17. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

NSW announced today the bringing forward of 20- something major government infrastructure projects.

Take my hat off to the State's

18. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Is anyone else as confused as I am about why Twiggy Forrest needed to buy testing kits?

19. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I gather he used his inside contacts within China to get hold of them - he then gave them to the Australian government, but the government has said it will pay him back the cost over time

As to whether there is an ulterior motive - no idea - I suspect not with Twiggy as he's not a Gina or Clive

20. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

It gets weirder:

Coronavirus Australia: Chinese consul-general crashes Greg Hunt’s press conference

Lizzie likes this.