Corona Virus CURE

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Brady, 19th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Gilead’s Remdesivir is probably the leader here. Large scale clinical trials underway.

Brady likes this.
  2. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

MTR likes this.
  3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Norton will fix it. $99 a year

datto and Heinz57 like this.
  4. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

There was an Australian Scientist who said there are 2 drugs that destroy the virus, one was an anti-malaria drug the other an anti- HIV drug

The problems is anti-viral drugs are different to bacterial drugs and smash the body

5. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

The reality is multiple drugs are being trialled .

As a Dr you can prescribe a medication " off Label " , ie not for it's original intended use. When you do this you enter a potential legal and ethical mine field and unless you are experienced in it's use , most Dr's will be very reluctant to do this .

I did receive a medical guidelines on treatment of COVID 19 around a week ago and this will be update on a VERY regular basis . It covered all the potential meds being looked at , but it's very early days . there are limited supplies of these , though some are simple and can be upscaled quickly .

They did mention one medication that very widely used for multiple health issues , BUT , it definitely can cause health problems and if used at the wrong time and in the wrong dose would make things worse , but if used correctly at the right time at the right dose ( which are unknown at this stage ) might well save lives . I haven't seen this mentioned in the public arena , as the whole medical profession is well aware of the risks of mentioning it in public . Don't waste your time pm'ing me . So there is more happening behind the scenes

As will all these things you do need to make sure that the cure isn't worse than the disease .

What maybe an acceptable risk profile for someone who has a highly fatal diseased like HIV , may not be acceptable in a disease which is mild in the majority of people .

There are Pathology markers which apparently indicate which how likely you are to get this seriously , but that information isn't readily available , and which meds are most effective at this stage aren't really known.

That will change in the next 1-2 months , I expect .

BULL **** ...

I'll put that up there with a Friends post which are linked to bizarre stories about how 5 G is responsible for the mutations that caused COVIC 19 and how this is all a plot to get rid of unproductive members of society and get the rest of society under stricter control and if we meditate we can fight any old virus , and . I don't bother reading most of her posts and my wife has put her on snooze . I occasionally glance to see what crap is out there so I'm for-warned.

Remember The US Pres " gets this stuff " fingers crossed ...

The US Pres mentioned them in a recent press conferance saying they would be available soon , only to be corrected by one of his experts

Disagree Strongly re anti viral meds . They're been around for a long time , and I've been prescribing for ? around 20 years .

I don't recall seeing one patient in that time who had any side effect with an anti viral medication.

Cliff

Last edited by a moderator: 21st Mar, 2020
    JohnPropChat, Kat, Toon and 5 others like this.
  6. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Is it really a big deal?
    That ratio is 50mil deaths in China.... they didn't have many
    Screenshot_20200321-172948_Chrome.jpg

7. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Marg4000 likes this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

i agree

in usa still has to be approved by FDA however, Admin are reducing red tape

Last edited: 27th Mar, 2020
    Brady likes this.
  9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

so much misinformation out there and much coming from media, I think they think they are the medical experts...this is on global scale

10. peastman

peastman Well-Known Member

Is there any research into reducing symptoms so it does not develop into a serious condition?

The Gambler likes this.
  11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I have been paying close attention to daily press conferences/releases in US
    Hugely important that the medical experts are involved to answer questions by press and I think its been pretty transparent

12. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

This from Standford Medicine - please see the Important Notice/Caution:
    COVID-19

Stanford Medicine was not involved in a widely circulating Google document or research paper suggesting that chloroquine is a potential treatment for COVID-19. Claims that we were involved are false. Please refer to this site for accurate information about COVID-19, and please consult a physician before taking any sort of prescription medication.

The Y-man

MTR likes this.
  13. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Those briefings are full of propaganda, lies and sycophants too scared to speak up or else they´ll get fired. Better to watch the individual state governors for a more accurate picture of what´s happening in the US.

Last edited by a moderator: 27th Mar, 2020
    KateSydney and Lizzie like this.
  14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I watch both

but Governors will only address what’s happening on the ground in their State. I am interested in both.

Listen to this Dr Berx, pretty impressive for a clown

opinions are like belly buttons and everyones got one

any daily press briefings in Spain on this level??? probably should be happening

15. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Dr Berx and Fauci are good, they are not who I was referring to. The Fauci Facepalm was a classic moment. Notice when they contradict they don´t show up the next day, uninvited. When possible they will get fired, not possible yet.

Of course, frequent updates, advice and good information from actual medical experts and the director of the Health Ministry in Spain on TV. The politicians keep out of the way and back them up, it´s sort of the opposite of what you see on US TV.

Last edited by a moderator: 27th Mar, 2020
    Lizzie likes this.
  16. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Dr Fauci probably knows if he talks truthfully, he will be fired, and probably thinks it is better to be there and be able to do good than be fired and lose any possibility of steering things in the right direction.

But when someone mentioned the possibility of freeing things up and all being together in church for Easter Sunday, he just lowered his head and stared at the floor. I feel for him really. He wants to help people but is stuck having to keep quiet in those press conferences.

At least he talks more freely when interviewed elsewhere.

KateSydney, Lizzie and Casteller like this.
  17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes Fauci addressed media on this account and so did Trump. You need to be careful about the misinformation, as there is a hidden agenda. Fauci is hardly what I would call a puppet or a shy flower .... lol
    He has also been interviewed by mainstream media one on one, he is transparent when asked the hard questions

His 79 years old, I am sure his really worried about his job and shaking in his boots

Meet the man leading America’s fight against coronavirus - and an anti-science White House

Fauci: Media should stop 'pitting' me against Trump

as I said opinions are like belly buttons, there is no evidence to support your comments regarding US or Spain government/scientist relationship. Its an assumption

18. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Two forms of a drug have been touted as possible treatments for Covid-19 - chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine, which is a less toxic form. Plaquenil is a trade nsme of hydroxychloroquine, one which is taken for osteoporosis amongst others. Side effects include heart problems, eye damage, blood sugar level issues, and a sensitivity to the sun (which can cause a darker skin).

There has been some excitement about a small study which indicates some success with treatment. That study has been criticised, another study from China indicates not much use. There's a lot of work going on, if it's not useful then a lot of people will be very disappointed.

Clive Palmer has provided funding towards an Australian trial, and has taken out advertising touting these drugs as a potential cure, rather than something which helps in the treatment, which is my reading of the results. The TGA is investigating the ad to see if it breaches drug advertising guidelines.

Lizzie likes this.
  19. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I probably didn’t word my comment properly. I doubt he’s worried about his job. I suspect he’s worried if he loses his job he cannot steer those with power to do the right thing and keep this virus contained.

20. berten

berten Well-Known Member

Honestly I doubt we'll get any significant clinical relief before there's is a vaccine, and that is gonna take a couple of years. Aside from HIV, which took 15 years, there mostly are not treatments/cures for viruses, only "supportive care" I.e keeping the patient alive until their immune system takes care of it. Even the data on anti virals like tamiflu is pretty dubious.

The only intervention I can think of that might make a difference, prior to vaccine, is if they figure out that is indeed and overactive immune response that's killing people, in which case immunosuppressants like prednisone is likely to help in critical cases.

Unfortunately I reckon this shutdown is the new normal, and will accelerate massive, permanent shifts to human life as we know it. I just hope some good guys step up to steer the ship.

wylie and Lizzie like this.