Corner Splay for a front fence

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by JuliaCFA, 3rd May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JuliaCFA

JuliaCFA Member

Hi,

I would like to change the design and increase the height of my front fence. I am in a residency of 4 units and I am the front unit.

I thought initially that should be a minor request to the council but after having spent a lot of time and money, the planner told me that the new requirement from the council planning scheme requires me to build a corner splay of 2m along frontage road and 2.5m along the exit driveway.

I only have a small front yard, if I build a splay with those dimensions I will lose 1/5 of the front yard.

Personally I am not familiar with the council planning scheme but I struggle to believe the corner splay requirements apply to my situation.

I was wondering if someone who has more planning experience could help me to understand if the clause 52.06-9 Car Parking splay requirements from the below planning scheme should apply to my situation. If yes, from which fence height this requirements becomes mandatory?

http://planning-schemes.delwp.vic.gov.au/schemes/vpps/52_06.pdf

Thanks a lot for your help.

2. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

52.06 doesn't apply
    1. If a group of "units" you will need planning approval to change an approved layout - this may or may affect you, depending on what was originally approved and whether that included fence heights (often does)
    2.increasing front fence height also (may) liv in the building regs (depending on height) so the Council's building dept will get involved. Most rarely consent to a higher front fence, but if they have in your case, it's a bonus.
    3.The splay will relate to sight lines and traffic safety (??) matters.
    Sound like who ever you engaged to help either hasn't communicated well with you and explained the provisions (and rules) or hasn't fully understood the provisions (and process)

3. KateSydney

KateSydney Well-Known Member

This is what Tufan means when he says it's about sight lines:

A car is wanting to get out of your driveway (or out of the side street) into the street. How can he see the traffic to make his turn in a gap?

1. He can see over your nice low fence

OR

2. He can't see over your new high fence, which is fine because you've now moved your fence well back and he can see around it.

Looks like you can have a high fence or a big garden but not both?

4. JuliaCFA

JuliaCFA Member

Thanks both for your response.
    I understand the purpose of the splay to offer extra visibility for the driveway if the fence is raised.

What I am trying to assess is whether the splay requirements are relevant to my situation, and if so which clause it is coming from.
    The town planner told me that the splay is required because of the clause 52.06.
    But when I read the scope of the clause 52.06 it seems apply to a change of car park space:

Clause 52.06 applies to:
    • a new use; --> not my case
    • an increase in the floor area or site area of an existing use --> not my case
    • an increase to an existing use by the measure specified in Column C of Table 1 in Clause 52.06-5 for that use. --> I don't think it is my case
    Keen to hear your view on this.

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'd go in and talk to the town planner at the council about it.
    I agree the clause stated is not relevant but there usually is a policy at each local council about front fences or fencing within the front setback.
    I know in WA it's generally can be solid up with 650/700mm next to driveway then you don't have to splay if the portion above that is 50-80% visually permeable so that pedestrians and drivers can see each other. The percentage of permeability varies from local council here. The splay is called a visual truncation in this instance as the fence is within the area but still allows the same outcome as a physical truncation.

6. KateSydney

KateSydney Well-Known Member

Tufan explained yesterday that clause does not apply. We can't comment on the person who told you it does.

What Council area are you in? Here's example of a link to Maroondah Council:

Building a fence