Corner lot address after subdivision adjacent to 1

Discussion in 'Development' started by Hodgo, 15th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Hodgo

Hodgo Well-Known Member

Hi all,

a corner lot has potential for subdivision, but the adjacent lot of the street we'd want the addresses to be on is addressed as "1", is it possible to be on this street or would we be forced to use addresses of the other street?

So example below if we are talking about corner lot with address 29, can 2 lots after subdivision have addresses on street A instead of B. Or would it have to be 29A and 29B?

upload_2020-6-15_10-5-19.png
    thanks
    Dave

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Is there a 31 on the other corner? If there isn't (councils do often reserve numbers around corners) then you might be able to have 29 and 31

I have seen rare instances where there is a 1A and 1B gives to lots in these instances where there are no other numbers.

Depending on the shape of the block there may be some advantages to both street addressing Road B but the garaging being off Road A for the very corner block

lixas4 likes this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I did this with my Kardinya block, as long as the number is available should not be a problem. Phone council they are the only ones that can approve this. It was straight forward when I did it

I did this as it was two strata lots and there was a definite psychological advantage when selling if the two lots were not A and B but rather two different street addresses
    Hope this makes sense

theperthurbanist and iloveqld like this.
  4. Westminster

This is a complicated example that I know off:

There is 1, 3, 5 and 7 Burnett Street. Number 7 is not shown it's off to the left above the Bromley Street junction. There were no reserved numbers

Number 1 is the original number 1
    Lot 60 which is to the right of it is now 1A,
    The yellow block is 3 and 3A
    The next block is 5
    The block on the corner is 14 Feredy
    The next yellow block is 15 Feredy and 5B Burnett
    The purple block next to it which was part of 28 Brombley has been given the address 5C Burnett.

There is going to be HUGE issues if the original 5 Burnett or 14 Feredy wants to subdivide as 5, 5A, 5B and 5C are in use. It's going to be a mess! Personally I think the council has handled it wrong and should have reserved 5A, B for some lots. They may one day have to renumber the street to actually make it work - the street currently numbering up to 11 so they may have to renumber and take it up to 15 or 17 instead.

upload_2020-6-15_10-19-1.png

5. Hodgo

Hodgo Well-Known Member

Thanks Westminster, that makes sense, so we may get 1A and 1B, it gets even stranger though, I think there is only number 1 on street A....I wonder if we get 3 and 5 ?

Out of curiosity what software did you use to get the map above, it's better than anything I can get from Landgate or Intramaps.

upload_2020-6-15_10-38-45.png

6. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

I think it's generally based on which street has the frontage (i.e. the front door and access)

7. Hodgo

Hodgo Well-Known Member

That image deson't show the number up as well as this one...
    upload_2020-6-15_10-57-24.png

8. Hodgo

Hodgo Well-Known Member

9. Westminster

That map is from the software that City of Bayswater use as they don't use Intramaps. I actually find it harder/worse than intramaps

Numbers should never go backwards so very very unlikely they will allow 3 and 5. I can see why you'd prefer street A over street B

Options
    1. If there truly is no house 3 or 5 you could ask the current number 1 if they would consider changing their numbers at your expensive (or a fee of $xx) to change their address so you can have 1 and 3
    2. Try and get 1A and 1B

Archaon likes this.
  10. Westminster

Want to PM the address and I'll see what I can work out for you?

11. Hodgo

Hodgo Well-Known Member

Thanks Westminster, will do. I also just called Council, thanks @MTR for the suggestion, the lady involved in the numbering isn't in until tomorrow.

MTR likes this.
  12. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

Just use 9 3/4 - works for Hogwarts.

lixas4, Hodgo and Westminster like this.
  13. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Talk to your neighbour and see what they say, my guess is they wont be that keen as they will have to change all their info and might not want the hassle.

You might be able to incentivise them with compensation though.

Last edited: 15th Jun, 2020
  14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Its totally dependent on council and their guidelines.

City of Melville was easy I just made an application, but the number must be available ie unused street number

this is an example of City of Stirling guidelines on this

https://www.stirling.wa.gov.au/your...ts/change-of-street-address-information-sheet

Must go through council, not neighbors they have no authority with regards to this

15. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

I was mainly highlighting that people get comfortable with things, if they have been there for some time, they would need to change their address with a lot of different companies, to some, not worth the hassle.

Council wont force a number change on to somebody surely?
    Those points contained in the information for someone wanting to change their street number, not somebody else's

16. Hodgo

Hodgo Well-Known Member

I love this comment...

The City cannot accede to requests for a change in street number which are based on the following:
    - The number is considered “unlucky”;
    - Religious reasons;
    - To improve the “feng shui” of the property;
    - Personal preferences;
    - The number is not good for business;
    - The property is difficult to sell;
    and - The number/address “devalues” the property.

MTR likes this.
  17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Damn. Lol

18. Westminster

Good news is that if your favourite Dockers players number is 14 that seems like an acceptable request :p

19. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

Property Street Addressing FAQs - Landgate

Street address info from WA landgate. We have similar body here in vic. The addressing here in vic has very strict rules, to help emergency services find the address of properties quicker and easier. I assume its the same for WA.

20. Hodgo

Hodgo Well-Known Member

So council says that if the lots were permited to be split East to West then the corner lot would be given either an address on street A or B dependant upon where the driveway was situated. The numbering dept. couldn't garauntee if the address would be B. she did say though that 1A and 1B would be permitted.

It almost seems as if this would ONLY happen during the application for a building permit.

So how does this help me if I'm selling both vacant lots, it's almost as if the lot wouldn't be given a number until later?

Also since number 1 has had their number for a while they wouldn't consider re-numbering it.