Core Hole - Concrete Slab to install Ducted AC

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Harry Marcus, 19th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Harry Marcus

Harry Marcus Well-Known Member

Hi PCers,

I trust you're all well.

I have a (hopefully) quick question. I'm in the process of renovating a 2 level townhouse, and we're looking at ducted air conditioning installation at the moment.

Our installer is saying that this will require core holing a 200mm hole through the concrete slab.

Question is - should I be worried about creating such a large hole in the concrete slab?

Not too sure how best to validate whether this is fairly normal or whether I need to somehow get a professional view on this.....................

Appreciate any advice on the topic!

Cheers,
    Harry

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Yes but you should get an engineer to certify that it can be done where you want it.

3. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Whilst they would have been setup on the formwork prior to the slab being poured, no difference to the sewerage pipes already going through the slab.

I don't have much knowledge re aircon installs, confused why they'd have to core the slab, the pipes etc usually run up the outside wall, unless its for vents in the lower floor ceiling central, via a void on the 2nd floor or something?

4. norwoodman

norwoodman Well-Known Member

Nothing unusual, this sort of thing is pretty common in concrete slabs, particularly in commercial buildings where services are constantly chopping and changing - those things are like swiss cheese. Preferably the location of the penetration should be confirmed on site and the number of reinforcing bars that will be cut in the process (should be reviewed by a structural engineer).

It's unlikely that more than one or two bars would be cut, and highly unlikely that the integrity of the structure compromised for a penetration of that size unless it's right in the middle of a critical section.