Copying Similar Plans

Discussion in 'Development' started by melbournian, 5th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

I've been monitoring developments in nearby streets and saw this block(sell 200-300K) more than the person bought a year ago which also can be used on my block similar size. It is in the same zone and basically all I need really is soil test, traffic reports etc. Has anyone attempted to just re-use plans then recreate new ones altogether?

upload_2017-1-5_11-12-30.png

upload_2017-1-5_11-13-10.png
    upload_2017-1-5_11-13-46.png

upload_2017-1-5_11-14-20.png

upload_2017-1-5_11-14-51.png
    upload_2017-1-5_11-15-28.png
    upload_2017-1-5_11-16-59.png

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Why not go to the designer and ask if he would discount the price substantially seeing he is basically just adjusting it for your site and therefore very little work on his part? That gives you what you want without looking over your shoulder.

Also, you'd not want something so close to your place to be exactly the same, would you? Maybe copy much of it, but change it enough so it isn't a "twin".

I'd not be happy if someone copied a plan exactly and built it in a very nearby street, even if they paid the same designer for it.

3. melbournian

I did got the architect to come over - well not exact replica (change colours move bits and pieces here there). I just did not want to re-create the wheel.

Copyright of plans is with the architect and besides the guy oredi sold the place with the plans

wanted to see if anyone has done this and the experiences with it.

EN710 likes this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Merely copying someone else's design without substantial modifications is a breach of copyright and of the designer's moral rights.

Tufan Chakir likes this.
  5. melbournian

Went to the source (the architect) he said is OK - waiting on his schedule of fees. it would be harder to replicate with other designers as he would have all the CAD files (hence technically cheaper)