QLD Coopers Plains Qld

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by Nathan J, 5th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Nathan J

Nathan J Well-Known Member

Good afternoon

We are first home buyers and looking for a place Brisbane southside that has good access to freeway and reasonbale public transport distance to Cav Rd High.

We love the look of this place and its location, and it appears to be within out budget (700k maximum). But we had a look on Saturday, and the kitchen/dining area is so small as to be almost unworkable.

We wondered if someone with a bit of an eye for it can give an opinion on whether an extension of the deck and kitchen areas would be feasible? We'd probably want to put internal stairs in too. Not a lot of photos unfortunately: https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-coopers+plains-136660078

Much appreciated.

2. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

The deck doesn’t look like it’s under the orginal roof line (I think. It’s a bit hard to see from the photos). Don’t see why you couldn’t extend but it would be a bit of a job - not as simple as filling in the current deck. I think you’d need to rip the deck off and do a proper extension.

3. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

It looks like extensions already taken place. Is there an opportunity to extend underneath and pinch a bedroom upstairs?

Maybe look for a property that is yet to be improved?

Good luck!!

4. Nathan J

Yes, I suspect that would be the case. It might be a bridge too far for a first purchase. Mind you…we are in it for the long haul, not wanting to move again for 20 years minimum. And we love the location. Thanks

5. Nathan J

The positioning of the bathroom upstairs would probably prevent being able to pinch a bedroom, otherwise extending underneath for more accommodation would be good.

anyway, I have plunged forward and made a super low offer, if that’s accepted I’ll make the contract subject to getting some professional renovation advice and quotes.
    Thanks for your input

6. Firefly99

If you love the location then why not go for it. Save up and do a reno a few years down the track :)

7. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

You are first home buyers, not upgraders. What is the problem again?

8. Firefly99

I had another look at the ad - is downstairs legal height? You could turn the garage and MPR into two bedrooms and a bathroom down the track, one of the beds upstairs into a dining, and combine the other two bedrooms to be a master with WIR, making the existing bathroom an en-suite.

As a first home buyer you do need to make some compromises and rarely get exactly what you want. The location is great and huge, flat block.

Until you can afford the big reno, spend $10k putting in an ikea kitchen (don’t change the plumbing etc) and extend the cupboards into the dining room - this will make the whole house seem brighter and be a lot more functional with a larger kitchen. Then just eat your meals outside on that nice deck or sitting on the couch :)

9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

10. Firefly99

Something like this

Attached Files:

11. Nathan J

No real problem other than just very unsure of what things are possible, or what they might cost. And whilst we are first home buyers, the plan is that this will be a 20 year plus residence. The smaller living area won't be such a problem in 6-7 years when both kids are (probably..) gone

12. Nathan J

Some great ideas there, many thanks. I hope to inspect alongside a builder soon to thrash out some ideas.

If we could purchase for under $600k we'd be quite happy to spend up to $100k immediately, but I just don't know how far that goes.

13. Nathan J

14. Nathan J

Hello again. Still considering the Coopers Plains place, but running out of time. Was hoping someone with recent involvement in a large renovation might know a realistic timeframe to have a big extension done by a reputable builder? I am aware there is high demand and materials shortages.

We would be sorely tempted if we thought we could have work done before Christmas.

I am also assuming/hoping a major extension of the upstairs might be achieved for under $150k

15. Nathan J

This sold at auction for $730k, more than $100k more than I had assumed. I clearly have no idea.

16. Firefly99

I assume it wasn’t you who purchased it :(

17. Nathan J

Ha, no. I offered $550k which must have made the owner laugh in hindsight.

18. Firefly99

W
    Baha yes ;)