Cooee Wealth Partners

Discussion in 'Financial Planning' started by Len HAMBLETON, 5th Nov, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Len HAMBLETON

Len HAMBLETON New Member

Hi there - I am new to this Property Chat forum and wanted to ask members if you had any feedback/information on Cooee Wealth Partners.....good/bad/indifferent.
    Your Financial Future with Cooee Wealth Partners

They are promoting a small scale property development to my wife and I and cannot seem to find a lot of reviews/information on them. Any/all responses would be welcome.
    Thank you.

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Run.

Small scale, Large kickback. One stop shop, credit, selling you a property and so on. Zero independence to such "advice" not that its licensed financial advice. They even run the "free ebook" thing spruikers do well.

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I couldn/t see any licensing listed on the website.

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Not that licensing applies to property ? Thats the misleading view to "financial advisers". They only have a license for financial product. Flogging property is ouside the license, insurance or ..... just a money maker ?...and credit advice is not financial advice but could be under product advice

5. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I'm not sure you read their website closely enough.

According to their website they are fee-for-service only and have a strict no-commissions policy. They also do not charge asset-based fees.

To qualify as a Cooee Wealth Partner, advisers must satisfy these three criteria:
    1. No ownership links or affiliations with product manufacturers. Neutrality is impossible where an adviser has links to a product manufacturer. Ownership links create an environment where the adviser resembles, at best, a well-intentioned salesperson.
    2. No commissions or incentive payments from product manufacturers. Commissions are payments made by product manufacturers to their distribution network. They create a conflict of interest between advisers and their clients.
    3. No asset-based fees. Asset fees, although are authorised by the client, are calculated precisely the same way a commission is calculated. Asset fees are incentives that prevent an adviser from being neutral and therefore create a conflict of interest between adviser and client.
    Fee structure:

Our fee structure is flexible and is driven by your needs – not ours!
    This means our customers get a much better service and then tell all their friends about us.
    And in return we run a very proud and successful operation.
    Our fees are based on the time and service level required and the amount of benefit that you gain.
    Our aim is to assist you to achieve your goals with the greatest degree of certainty.
    Understanding our fees is just one way we can help you go forward with confidence.
    We may charge fees in one of three ways;
    1. An agreed flat rate;
    2. As an hourly rate;
    3. As a performance-based fee on the total benefit you gain.
    For more detailed information please see our Financial Services Guide.​

Their opinion on Off the Plan property:

We will consider all assets on their merits, taking into account your motivation for considering them and more importantly the impact on your cash flow and your future wealth. As a general rule of thumb we are very cautious about off the plan investments and our primary reasons for applying caution are as follows:
    1. Many are sold directly by developers or developer’s marketers and advice around their performance is sometimes pitched as ‘free’. If anyone is giving you ‘free’ advice, you need to ask yourself if it is neutral advice, and whether the advisor or their company is getting a commission, kickback, rebate or other interest from a potential sale.
    2. Banks are often tough on ‘off the plan’ sales. We don’t like assets which banks don’t like. Full stop. If it’s hard for you to buy, it could be hard for you to sell and it will be hard for others in the block to be sold. These all have a flow on effect on the growth potential of an asset so we do tread cautiously, always.
    3. A sudden release of a large number of similar or identical units/apartments can compromise the values (both rental and sale values) of the asset. To compound this, if a distressed vendor has to make a distress sale, the lower sale price will have a direct effect on the value of your asset.
    4. We typically prefer assets with higher ‘Land to Asset Ratios’. Come and chat to us about what types of assets fit this preference.

Independent Adviser Services Pty Ltd ABN: 32 611 688 441 is licensee of the trading name Cooee Wealth Partners. All Advisers operating under Cooee Wealth Partners are licensed by the Australian Financial Services Licence (AFSL: 518453) of AFSL Licensee Pty Ltd, issued by ASIC.

Other related companies are Cooee Mortgages Pty Ltd ABN: 48 611 777 229 with Australian Credit License Number 384704 and Cooee Property Pty Ltd ABN: 70 611 684 167.

I have never dealt with this company so this is not a recommendation - but they are certainly saying all the right things in my mind.

Fee for service, no kickbacks or commissions, fully licensed, a pragmatic approach to OTP.

The only area for concern might be the perceived lack of independence in relation to getting all of your advice from one place (they do accounting, financial planning, mortgages and property advice) - but given they are fee for service and not making money out of recommending any specific property purchases, I think this is far less of an issue than other one-stop-shop operations.

Again, this is not a recommendation - I have no experience with this company - but I'm cautiously optimistic that they seem like a decent group to work with.

6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Its good they are licensed.

Len HAMBLETON likes this.
  7. Simoo

Simoo New Member

Hi Len,

Did you proceed with it ? I am in a similar boat where I am looking into entering a development with coo ee, I see no red flags but would be great to hear in life feed back.

8. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I'm presuming Len has gone the way of the dinosaurs seeing as this thread was from almost a year ago, and our friend Len only made the one post.