QLD convince me deception bay is a bad idea

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Brad81, 19th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

I'll be there next week to have a look!

2. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

I remember someone in a thread said local people pretty different with other cites it's not that important as we think, people drive everywhere.

3. rookie101

rookie101 Well-Known Member

I live literally next door to Dbay.
    The suburb has a stocking reputation, crime, housing commission. It needs a huge cultural change to swing it to being seen as decent. If your in for a long haul, sure.

4. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

5. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

Yes, need a long time I guess.

6. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Look at the performance of well located stock of all types vs those that are equivalent except for location...the market values the two differently.

7. rookie101

rookie101 Well-Known Member

We looked at the same tactic and seriously considered boondall.
    Floods are quite bad here. After 2011 the city is extreemly worried about a reoccurrence and the houses in that area are literally built in a swamp.
    Stay away, renters won't willingly rent these homes due to being cut off during floods or damaged property etc

8. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

Thanks for reminder, I actually put boondall on my list and plan to inspect some, maybe that's why people go to western suburbs since it's on the hills?

9. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Coz they can I guess.
    It's there, may as well use it.

10. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Nope...only some of the Mexicans buying in droves in the cheaper suburbs ...in a area called Logan. I have shoot on sight for one of these guys....... ;)

11. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

I put Deception bay in with Frankston , in terms of being a cheap area in a waterfront location in a major city and there's not many of those , so in that sense it does put it ahead of other cheap areas despite the waterfront being considered less that perfect by some people . Depends what you want .

In the last cycle I don't think it out performed other cheaper areas . There was a lot of talk about it last cycle so it's not as though it's just coming onto the radar .

I didn't buy there this cycle because I wanted to buy several properties with better returns than what I could get easily in D Bay , while it was relatively easy to get higher returns from solid cheapies in the goodna area

Cliff

Taku Ekanayake likes this.
  12. Seal

Seal Well-Known Member

Hey sash,
    I got you up to this point of 'prepay my interest'. Could you please explain this part a little more?

13. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

You probably wont get a reply from Sash. But what I believe he was saying (without reading the full context of his post) was that if you sell and you have a lot of Capital Growth and therefore capital gains, you are best off prepaying interest on your other investments because the interest is all tax deductible so you will have more deductions to offset the gain you made, decreasing your CGT bill.

14. Seal

Seal Well-Known Member

Thanks gockie

15. David7880

David7880 New Member

I hear the talk re the physical attributes of D Bay and they are largely personal choice issues (waves/no Waves; tidal mud flats etc) but what about the vacancy rate, I looked on realestateinvestar.com.au and it has a vacancy rate In the mid 1% which is execeptional. What am I (or realestateinvestar) missing?

markson likes this.
  16. David7880

David7880 New Member

people have spoken about the abundance of land that can be developed between Brisbane and Deception Bay. Which areas are people referring to? There is the Newport development in Deception Bay itself with 1900 homes but I cannot see any other land as most of it is either mountains, lakes or conservation inlets? Can someone please point it out?

17. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

If you can afford to come in closer on the northside it's a bad idea.
    If not its a good idea.
    If it's waterfront its a good idea

18. sash

sash Well-Known Member

You aint missing nuttin' son....
    Not a lot of developable land left which is not a flood plain once Newport (expensive) and North Lakes are developed...dem's the facts. Caveat emptor ...I own 4 in Moreon Bay...including Depression Bay.

19. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

Have any investors in the area who have held for 12+ months seen good CG gains since buying? Yields still look quite good for the location, just not sure on CG.