converting garage to study

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Holmes2012, 9th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Holmes2012

Holmes2012 Member

I have been considering converting a single lockup garage to a study room. Does anyone know the Brisbane City Council rules on this one?

2. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

1. Firstly it probably changes the class of building under the BCA and you will need a private certifier to organise that.
    2. It could be completely exempt or need a certifier or need a town planner.

PM me the address and I will have a quick look and see what I think

3. Holmes2012

Holmes2012 Member

Just PMed u.

4. RPI

Ok.

Given the area it was built and that it appears to be an integral part of the structure is likely already considered to be a Class 1(a) building. You won't need town planning either way. Certifier will be able to sign off on the building work. It will likely help your next valuation if you get it approved (get your carport approved at same time even if you aren't going to build it for a year or 2 as it won't cost you anymore). You could probably enclose and convert it without approval as it is not material. BUT valuer and or resale would appreciate the approval and increase in val would outweigh minor cost of approval

twobobsworth likes this.
  5. RPI

Ashley at Applied Building Approvals
    Applied Building Approvals: Home
    www.appliedbuildingapprovals.com.au/
    trusted advisors with building, Council and certification experience, we offer suggestions, alternative solutions and advice in solving general construction ... 180 Colburn Ave, Victoria Point QLD 4165
    (07) 3820 7848

6. Holmes2012

Holmes2012 Member

Thanks. Will be on to them soon. Keen to get this done.