Converting Garage/Shed into Guesthouse

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by DV Melb, 25th Dec, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. DV Melb

DV Melb New Member

Hi all, we are looking at converting our current garage/shed into a guesthouse. Does anyone have any builder recommendations for this type of job? Located in Rosebud, Victoria.

Attached Files:

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Delta Demolitions to remove the shed & shipping container - neither have adequate floor to ceiling height to be classed sad a habitable room.

Once that's done, you can use any builder to build a complying structure.

3. DV Melb

DV Melb New Member

What is an adequate floor to ceiling height? I can confirm the current structure is +2.4m…

4. Harveys

Harveys Well-Known Member

The current structure is a carport built off a retaining wall. I can say I’d like to convert my kids treehouse into a second dwelling, which of cause I could once I removed the treehouse and cut down the tree.

You need to engage professional help

5. skater

skater Well-Known Member

It's a dirt floor, and metal walls, for goodness sake. It's not suitable to convert. You need to remove it, like others have said. Besides this, I'm sure you are not allowed to have a secondary dwelling in VIC, unless its for family to live in.

6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I imagine you want to create a rustic sort of beach cottage/studio vibe? Is it to rent out!

Realistically, it’s probably cheaper to demolish the shed that’s there and rebuild a habitable building for a holiday rental.

The first step is to call Council and ask what’s permitted on the site in terms of permits - what you need to have in place to have a secondary dwelling for rent etc.

However, if by ‘guesthouse’ you just mean that you need a place for your cousins to sleep every now and then (i.e. not a rental) - you could get a carpenter (or DIY) to put a low pine decking or chipboard or ply etc floor in - and add some framing/wall lining in plasterboard or ply, and windows/door on the front to create a ‘workshop’.

The ceiling could be stretched fabric (I saw this done in a house in Kyneton) or just building wrap - or install a framed ceiling with plaster or ply lining.

I don’t know how strong the existing frame so these decisions would need to be guided by someone with expertise.

Last edited: 26th Dec, 2021
  7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I think the most important thing is what you want the "guest house" to be? Like @Joynz said, if it is a chill out place that someone might sleep after a big night rather than get in a car, and there's no room inside, that's a very different to wanting to rent it as an AirBNB.

8. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Wonderful suggestions and like the sound of this but not really sure what this looks like. Would
    it be kind of like a shade cloth? And what is the function? I suppose this would be best with a peaked roof.
    Am thinking of doing the same kind of thing in my timber wall/concrete floor garage - like a reading room, with coffee and tea and a chandelier kind of place.

9. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Back in my 20's we knew a family that lived in an almost lean-to. It was timber framed, I think, with lots of fabric hung from the ceiling. This was in a bush setting along the escarpment north of Wollongong, where you found a lot of 'interesting' homes. Had a hippie vibe to it, which very much suited the family that lived there. Not somewhere I'd like to live, but they liked it.

WattleIdo likes this.
  10. Harveys

Harveys Well-Known Member

I would have thought on a property investment forum a ‘guest house’ is going to be assumed a legal habitable dwelling.

If we're talking‘bush shack’ guest house then I guess sky’s the limit. Why not just move in another shipping container and fit them out.