Converting carport into garage

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by mun7, 9th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. mun7

mun7 New Member

Hi all,

I'm looking into converting my carport into garage. Here's what it currently looks like:

[​IMG]

As you can see, the carport is actually separate from the house (by 1m). My questions are as follows:

* Would it be a good idea to use bricks for the 3 walls? Could a lighter material be used instead to lower costs?
    * Is the roof tall enough for a manual/automatic gate?

Any idea much appreciated.

2. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

All the walls ?
    Or are you just looking to box in the front ?
    Blue board and render paint it would be cheaper.
    Big windows (used shop style/floor to roof) for the sides and back, otherwise it will be dark in there.
    Opening height currently? Width ?
    Looks low and wide, panel lift door would give you better clearance than an old roller door.

JacM and craigc like this.
  3. mun7

mun7 New Member

I'm planning to have the whole carport boxed, so the back will need a wall as well.

Ah, I didn't know about blue board. Are they prone to cracking? Do blue boards simply need steel posts?

My concern is that floor to roof windows might cost a lot... Perhaps just a few chest height windows?

It's about 2.3m high. Width is about 5.5m. What do you think?

Thanks

4. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Also consider light to house Windows and access to front door for friends / guests. Assume front door is behind trees as not clear from pic.

5. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

2.3h will be enough for a panel lift door.
    I was thinking "if" you could find some used windows from a demolition recycle centre, equates to less cladding and more light in.
    The back wall you could put in a used glass/aluminum sliding door, more light again (but consider if you'd ever want vehicle access thru to yard also, means another door).
    Steel frame walls "shop fit out style" could work, but makes it harder to hang things off, blue board is just thicker cement sheet, joined and sealed properly they can be great, and you can buy render paint in most any color to tie in to your home.
    Can see brick getting expensive, and you are unlikely to find any to match the existing........
    True, there is no path to the front door.
    You could go with an intercom and open the elctric roller door, or you will be looking at more cost for path to either the right or left side of your new garage.......

6. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

What area is it located in?
    I'm considering doing the same at 1 place.
    I seem to remember someone mentioning you might need council approval if you enclose it all? Not sure though.

7. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

Have you thought about using Colourbond as the sides and back, with higher windows and maybe a Skylight or panel.

I don't like floor to ceiling windows or sliding doors as it give thieves to many ways to see whats in there and easy access.

I did look at one at a place we nearly bought, it was using Blue board and render, had a roller door on the rear to give wider access to rear yard which i liked as i could push my boat through and still have a working garage.

This required a timber frame built between the brick columns but looked like a10 day job for a good carpenter.
    It also had a panel lift door to maximise the height at the front.

8. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Carpentry would be more like a one to two day job to close in the walls.

Joynz likes this.
  9. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

Yeah, i mean for the lot, frame, tilt a door door support, blue board, render and line the inside if they were going to.

10. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

You might need to consult council regarding whether a permit is required to brick it in. There might be some requirements to adhere to from a fire regulations perspective.