Converting a 5x1 into a 4x2

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by jodes, 23rd Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jodes

jodes Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

We are considering converting our IP (Ballarat) from a 5x1 (with only two bedrooms having a BIR) into a 4x2 (with 2 bedrooms having a BIR and 2 having a WIR)

Essentially there are three bedrooms all to the left of the hallway (sorry that's a terrible description- refer the rough plan) and we are considering the possibility of converting the second bedroom into a bathroom (either accessible to both bedrooms either side or just to one bathroom depending on space) and two small walk in robes/ built in robes

Some questions:
    - is a 4x2 generally worth more (on paper) than a 5x1? We would ultimately aim to have the house re-valued after the conversion to pull equity.
    - what is the minimum size you could have for a functional BIR/ WIR?
    - are there are minimum sizes for doors to either BIR or bathrooms?
    - would we need council approval for this?
    - is a 2.8 x 3.3m room big enough for this?
    - y ou can see on the plan that there is an old in- filled fire place. we could look to demolish this (if possible) or incorporate into the bathroom if not too small)
    - any ideas of a rough costs? We would manage it ourselves and just get contractors where required. This includes us buying supplies and paying the contractor to complete labour (which we did for our recent kitchen reno)
    Proposed below and would appreciate any input (I could be way off!):
    - extending pipes/ hot water (could be done under the house so should be fairly easy I would imagine? $1,500
    - converting bedroom into bathroom and two robes including adding three internal walls, three doors, filling an existing door $2,500
    - waterproofing and tiling bathroom $2,000
    - bathroom fixtures and fittings $2,000
    - miscellaneous $2,000
    total: $10,000

What am I missing? Thanks so much in advance !

Attached Files:

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

This is a concerning question for me. I don't think even knowing "generally" is good enough.

Unless you can answer this specifically (as in for your property in the context of the area) before you start the work, then how do you know the project is worth your while?

D.T. likes this.
  3. jodes

jodes Well-Known Member

I would definitely answer this question before I started any type of work. The reason for the second part of the question relating to costs - if I find out that it would increase value by say $50k but my cost predictions are way out and it would actually cost $50k to convert then obviously it's not a good option :)

4. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

It would depend on the demographics of the area.
    You should be doing it based on the need, not trying to force it.
    What does your PM reckon?

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

5/1 is impractical - a 2nd bathroom is essential in these family situations. Sure the extra bedrooms may be attractive but when you've gotta go, you've gotta join a queue.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.